Missing 20 Gigs of Space

velkropie

6 posts in this topic

hello,

i hope this post is in the right place...

i formatted my 250Gigs HD and system profile claims there is only 230Gigs what gives...has anyone ever had this problem? does any one know what's going on?

thanks

I had a similar issue with my 160GB Seagate, but I just used the remaining space for my Linux install... didn't bother looking into it.

hello,

i hope this post is in the right place...

i formatted my 250Gigs HD and system profile claims there is only 230Gigs what gives...has anyone ever had this problem? does any one know what's going on?

thanks

Have a look at your disk with some other software like gparted

velkropie,

Thats a well known problem everywhere throughout the computer community. The hard drive makers just round off the drive's capacity instead of listing the actual size. The actual usable size of a 250GB drive is 232GB, pretty close to what you mention.

So its not a problem, not your fault, and theres no way to fix it other than to get a bigger drive if that 20 gigs of space is important ;)

velkropie,

Thats a well known problem everywhere throughout the computer community. The hard drive makers just round off the drive's capacity instead of listing the actual size. The actual usable size of a 250GB drive is 232GB, pretty close to what you mention.

So its not a problem, not your fault, and theres no way to fix it other than to get a bigger drive if that 20 gigs of space is important ;)

It has nothing to do with rounding and everything to do with lying scumbag HD manufacturers they use decimal when calculating the capacity of the HD instead of the binary caculation that computers use for everything including HD capacity, hard to believe people still ask this question when it has been known for 20-25+ years this was happening...