Hackintosh too hot! Any Fan Control Utilities?

marian99us

13 posts in this topic

Hi

My fan wouldn't give its best performance!

it just drones on a low speed and cpu temperature goes up to 85 degree C!

could someone suggest some working Fan Control utilities? or perhaps some Kext replacement!

i wouldn't mind a permanent high speed Fan, even if its loud! because my computer becomes extremely unstable after getting too hot!

i have tried the following softwares yet:

Fan Control

icyclone

and smcfancontrol!

please help!!!!

my specifications: Toshiba R25 (tablet)

Core Duo

1 gb ram

Get a SpeedStep kernel and make sure that you have Power saving options and all enabled. Check in your BIOS for temperature settings...85 is too high but it can be expected since you are using a tablet.

• 1 month later...
Hi

My fan wouldn't give its best performance!

it just drones on a low speed and cpu temperature goes up to 85 degree C!

could someone suggest some working Fan Control utilities? or perhaps some Kext replacement!

i wouldn't mind a permanent high speed Fan, even if its loud! because my computer becomes extremely unstable after getting too hot!

i have tried the following softwares yet:

Fan Control

icyclone

and smcfancontrol!

please help!!!!

my specifications: Toshiba R25 (tablet)

Core Duo

1 gb ram

I have this same problem but only on a cold boot. If on a warm boot it seems that since the bios kicks the fan on then OSX will control it and regulate the temp. However if the bios never kicks it on then the system will overheat. I have deleted CPUthermo and AppleintelCPUpowermgmt. My system boots with CPUthermo but not with appleintelcpupowermgmt.

What were your results with those fan control apps? Did they do anything?

fn=3 might help but i hate to do that as ive heard it keeps the fan on 100% all the time.

• 1 month later...

hello marian99u,

I had the same problem on my toshibia R25 (tablet) where my laptop would overheat to the point where it would burn my legs or whatever touched it. The fan would run and run, but help very little. I have linux and windows intstalled on it currently. I've been using this laptop for over 2 years.

I fixed the overheating by opening up the laptop and cleaning the heatsink and fan (which are connected) of dust and dirt. This cooled down my laptop to the same way it was when i baught it.

Question: How did you install OSX on your toshiba R25. I have been trying to intall it for several weeks now, with no luck at all. I've used iAkos 1.0r2 and 2.0. Every time i try to boot from the disk a grey screen with the apple logo telling me to restart my computer.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

.: bump :.

i've been having this same problem and can't seem to get it sorted. 00Diabolic seemed to nail it - only causes a problem on cold boot. i've got a tosh A135-S4626 that's running great except for overheating on cold boot - ironic, huh?

-e

well... i just discovered the fan thread so sorry for the bump. looks like there is still no solution for this problem on tosh's. patiently waiting...

• 2 weeks later...
I have this same problem but only on a cold boot. If on a warm boot it seems that since the bios kicks the fan on then OSX will control it and regulate the temp. However if the bios never kicks it on then the system will overheat. I have deleted CPUthermo and AppleintelCPUpowermgmt. My system boots with CPUthermo but not with appleintelcpupowermgmt.

What were your results with those fan control apps? Did they do anything?

fn=3 might help but i hate to do that as ive heard it keeps the fan on 100% all the time.

Sorry for being a noob. I think if i can have a stable temperature for the cpu, i will use this method. But can you please provide me where i can set this 'fn=3' parameter?

• 1 month later...

Well i noticed my toshiba heating alot in one the sides, and the fan wasnt running! i did a restart and now the pc starts with the fans and remains on, and the problem of overhating dissapears, im pissed cause i could have damaged the laptop if i didnt google for it!

• 3 weeks later...

I have solved this problem, once and for all!

As most people on this forum know, PCs use BIOS to control the fan. Macs use software.

For my Hackintosh (Compaq Presario C700), I had the fan turning on for about 2 seconds every minute or so. The processor got so hot that it would nearly burn you on your lap and suffered a lot of logic faults, rendering the machine unusable.

So... here's the solution:

1) Open up your laptop

2) Unplug the fan from the motherboard

3) Locate the nearest USB port

4) Use the pinout at the Wikipedia link below - do NOT use the pinouts an a Presario/HP service manual, they are BACKWARDS! Hookup up the fan in reverse polarity (like I did follow the Presario manual) will result in an over current USB warning and a shutdown of the USB bus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:USB.svg

5) Attach longer wires to the fan, if necessary to reach the nearest USB port

6) On the inside of the computer (on the back of the USB port *inside* the machine), solder your fan to the correct pins. Red wire goes to +5V (VCC) and black wire goes to Ground (GND), as seen on the Wikipedia USB pinouts.

7) Close the computer back up and run you Hackintosh with NO MORE OVERHEATING PROBLEMS!! ! :D:P !!!!

So that's it.

The fan comes on when the computer is on and runs 100% of the time, making the Presario or HP laptop usable without any of the fan utilities that wouldn't run on these machines anyway.

I did this out of frustration after trying all the various fan utilities and having none of them recognize my fan. This is actually my wife's Hackintosh (I have a MacBook). She was unable to use it for more than 20 mins in a stretch, but now can use it all day without any problems.

SO HAPPY ABOUT THIS!!

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...