Can Hackintosh run two identical video cards?

Psykonaut Hitman

24 posts in this topic

I've been running Kalyway 10.5.1 on my P35-DS4 rev2.1 with one 7300GT Sonic 256mb DDR3. Recently, I got an exact video card and installed it in the second pci-e slot so that I can install more than 2 monitors + 2 projectors. I cant seem to make it work as I am having boot problems.

What would you guys recommend? Has anybody successfully installed more than one videocard on any hackintosh?

I've been googling and cant seem to find the answer. Please help.

I have two MSI NX 7600 256 MByte cards and 4 monitors working (DVI). Driver is NVInject version on the Kaly DVD. Board is P35-DS4, version is kaly 10.5.2 + graphics update 1. Important: in Bios the preferred card has to set to PEG2, otherwise black screen. It MUST be 256 MByte cards, I tried a 512 MByte card first and it doesn´ t work. 512 MByte cards needs to be patched.

I have two MSI NX 7600 256 MByte cards and 4 monitors working (DVI). Driver is NVInject version on the Kaly DVD. Board is P35-DS4, version is kaly 10.5.2 + graphics update 1. Important: in Bios the preferred card has to set to PEG2, otherwise black screen. It MUST be 256 MByte cards, I tried a 512 MByte card first and it doesn´ t work. 512 MByte cards needs to be patched.

Carlos,

Thanks for the valuable advise guys. I dont intend to run any crossfire or SLI in my system. I intend to do what you were able to accomplish but using a cheaper pair of 7300GT Sonic 256mb DDR3.

I'm also using a P35-DS4 rev2.1 running Kalyway 10.5.1. And yeah I did try installing a 512mb 7300 card and didnt work for me either. I actually have a very stable machine using my current card, but then when I installed an identical card on the second pci-e slot, my hackintosh would hang during boot.

Im gonna try fiddling with the bios first and see if that works. If that fails, my second option would probably to do it the hardway-- which is to reinstall Kalyway with the two graphic cards installed already.

I'm gonna keep you posted with my progress.

SUCCESS!!!! SUCCESS!!!!

I did exactly as you said in tweaking the BIOS. At first I was getting a black screen, and I couldnt figure out what was going on. So I tried switching it back to PCI, then to PEG, then PEG2.

Then after re-reading the motherboard manual, I finally understood what was wrong. Switching to PEG2 means I should install my main monitor on the second graphics card output. I couldnt understand though why PEG wouldnt work. Who cares?! I can now install multiple monitors on my system. Just what I need for my project!

Thanks Carlos!

• 2 months later...
SUCCESS!!!! SUCCESS!!!!

I did exactly as you said in tweaking the BIOS. At first I was getting a black screen, and I couldnt figure out what was going on. So I tried switching it back to PCI, then to PEG, then PEG2.

Then after re-reading the motherboard manual, I finally understood what was wrong. Switching to PEG2 means I should install my main monitor on the second graphics card output. I couldnt understand though why PEG wouldnt work. Who cares?! I can now install multiple monitors on my system. Just what I need for my project!

Thanks Carlos!

I can confirm this works with non-identical cards as well :)

Running 3 displays without NVinject or other kexts, just EFI strings.

The key is to set the BIOS to PEG2, otherwise it will boot to a black screen.

Took some screenshots with 3 displays connected (one is still a {censored} CRT though, just ignore that :D ) :

3_display2.png

3_display.png

info1.png

info2.png

• 1 month later...

I've been trying hard to get two ATI HD 2600 XT (link to vendor) working. Using natit one card works like a charm - the other is also shown but doesn't detect any displays. If I then change the boot order in the BIOS the other card works and the first one doesn't detect any displays.

I'm using a Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard.

I've been trying for ages to get this up and running. Tried modifying strings and kext and all it does is crash the system. So could anybody please help me?

Thanks!!

I've attached screen grabs for both my gfx cards system profiles. BTW. The "slot" field is empty on both cards.

gfxcard1.tiff

gfxcard2.tiff

• 11 months later...
<br />SUCCESS!!!! SUCCESS!!!!<br /><br />I did exactly as you said in tweaking the BIOS. At first I was getting a black screen, and I couldnt figure out what was going on. So I tried switching it back to PCI, then to PEG, then PEG2.<br /><br />Then after re-reading the motherboard manual, I finally understood what was wrong. Switching to PEG2 means I should install my main monitor on the second graphics card output. I couldnt understand though why PEG wouldnt work. Who cares?! I can now install multiple monitors on my system. Just what I need for my project!<br /><br />Thanks Carlos!<br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thanks for this info. I did exactly this and it worked for me. I have nvidia gtx 285 in PEG1 and 8500GT in PEG2. Not the ideal situation for me, but at least it works. I hope this issue can be fixed one day.

• 3 months later...

I'm trying to get an nVidia GTX 260 and nVidia 9800 GT to work together (primarily for PhysX in Windows). When I try to boot into OS X 10.6.1 though the system locks during boot. I've read through this thread and people are recommending the main card be in "PEG2" in the BIOS. What is this? Does this mean the main video card (the GTX 260 in my case) needs to be seated in the PCI-E_2 slot? I'm just a little confused and would appreciate clarification. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
SOLVED thx to aquamac

I am not successful with two 9600GT 512MB in my ASUS p6t6 Board...

I would like to get some help for that they run under 10.6.2

I need a 3rd Monitor... :(

Who can help?

What was the solution?? I've trying to get two 260's running, and I've changed to peg2, but after all the verbose stuff my monitor goes blank. I then moved the dvi to my top card (peg 1) and it's installing, but a chunk of the screen is grey lol. Anyway, just wondering what the solution aquamac gave you was.

I'm trying to get an nVidia GTX 260 and nVidia 9800 GT to work together (primarily for PhysX in Windows). When I try to boot into OS X 10.6.1 though the system locks during boot. I've read through this thread and people are recommending the main card be in "PEG2" in the BIOS. What is this? Does this mean the main video card (the GTX 260 in my case) needs to be seated in the PCI-E_2 slot? I'm just a little confused and would appreciate clarification. Thanks!

I have this same setup with my cards....any suggestions???

Thanks,

Ben

you have an evga sponsorship? ;)

don´t know about evga boards. as far as I remember there was a DSDT workaround for boards not having this option.

please someone correct if I´m wrong - search for it. are your seperate strings working?

you have an evga sponsorship? ;)

don´t know about evga boards. as far as I remember there was a DSDT workaround for boards not having this option.

please someone correct if I´m wrong - search for it. are your seperate strings working?

hmmm...

All I need is for one GPU to work...I am not looking for dual monitor support...it seems that I cannot find the correct driver config...or something...

• 2 months later...

Hi i am running a hackintosh with leopard 10.5.8 and good success.

My specs are

Asus P5k - premium wifi

intel q6600

ram 6 giga 1066

2 video cards 1x Evga 512 8800gt and 1x msi 1g 9400gt

2 sata2 hds

1 sata2 Lg dvd recorder.

4 lcd monitors

I am trying to have the 3 monitors at my main room and one more mirrored with my main display to an other room.

So i have connect my main monitor and this that i want to mirror to 8800gt

and the other two monitors to 9400gt. I am trying to find where i can do this to monitor preferences but i can only mirror all the monitors or extend them all.

I search to google for a solution but i can't find any answer.

thanks for the help

• 4 months later...

Hey guys, I could really use your help. I've literally been working on this hackintosh for 3 weeks straight, as much time as I can every evening. So I have the GA-45-UD3P, NVIDIA 120 GT (I've come to learn its the rebranded NVIDIA 9500 GT), and I also have an actual 9500GT. So I performed the Lifehackers guide to a snow leopard, and everything is great, in-fact its amazing. Seeing how fast this is, even comparing to my i7 Macbook Pro is incredible. What I am struggling with is enabling dual graphics cards. I know there are so many posts on this subject, but I have done everything I feel I can to work on this situation. Let me explain whats going on. So I have my system see 2 9500GT. Everything works with each card independantly. I get full resolution, etc, the graphics are working just fine. With both cards, dual display works as well. System profiler sees both cards as well, but for the life of me I cannot get both cards to work. They work find independantly. Any help is appreciated, I really want to be able to use more than 2 monitors. Ive become so desperate that i bout the Matrox Triple head 2 go, but Its not working to my advantage. I have a 24 LED with mini display, so thats why i have the 120 gt. Please guys, any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to run 3 monitors on the following hardware, running a 10.6.4 Retail install using MyHack to boot.

Asus P5K Deluxe WiFi Motherboard

4GB (2x2) Kingston KHX8500D2K2/2GN DDR2 1066 DIMM

Intel 2.83GHz Q9550 quad core CPU

WD 320GB Sata drive

2X Sparkel Nvidia 9800GT 1GB P/N SX98GT1024D3GVP (I had the system working fine with 2 monitors when I had just a single card installed using NVKush.)

I've read in other threads that I need to set the Bios to PEG2 to get this to work, but I can't find that option in the Bios settings. I upgraded to the latest version 1005 from Asus's support download page, and it specifically mentioned being upgraded for support of 2 PCI-e graphics cards.

I've tried removing NVKush and using GFXutil, then NVInjector, then NVenabler, but nothing works.

If anyone has gotten this or a similar configuration to work please let me know.