Which Motherboard

Todd C

8 posts in this topic

Hi all, I jsut finished a build for a friend that used the P5W-DH Deluxe motherboard and it went great and works great. Now I want one for myself, but I would like to use a more current board than the P5W. He was using an existing CPU and already had the ram so the P5W made sense for him. But I am going to buying a new Proc, Mem, and motherboard and would like to buy something that supports at least 1066 DDR2 ram.

So I have been reading on here for the last few days and it seems that a lot of folks like the GA-P35-DS3P but it seems that this board is no longer being made since I cannot find it on Newegg or Amazon. Now, I do see the GA-P35-DS4 and it uses the same northbridge, southbridge, and audio. My question is this, how compatible is the GA-P35-DS4 vs. the DS3P? I would like to use the Kalyway 10.5.1 installer to make my life easy. I don't mind patching a few ktexts but if the install is more work than it is worth then I suppose I will just settle. But I would like the extra Sata's over the GA-P35-DSL if I can.

Just looking for a pointer in the right direction (if there is such a thing).

Thanks,

-T

Should be fine. Looks like pretty much the same board. If it doesn't do what you want send it back. I use NewEgg, Tiger Direct, and Frys (I have one locally thank god!) like my own personal testing center. I'm constantly buying stuff from them playing with it for a week or so, and returning it.

well my friend.. the asus p5w dh does support 1066 ram.. it supports even higher.. you just have to change it in the bios. Also i believe it supports the new processors with the bios updates.

The GA-P35 DS3L works very well, i had it.. but with ahci enabled.. only 2 sata ports worked.. without it enabled.. i get kernel panics for having 4gb of ram.

@Vapor - How is that P5K-E board?

Works great. The built in sound is output only and sucks, but all built-in sound sucks, imho. Everything else works fine and the board was cheap (bought used for $70). It has some vdroop issues with overclocking, but I was able to work around that with some mods. I'd probably would have got a P5K Deluxe instead if I could have found one cheap. I have a love hate relationship with Asus boards... some are really good, and some are garbage. Their bios support is atrociously bad. I'd have to recommend a Gigabyte board unless you can find a compatible Asus board used or cheap. If you're gonna buy new... Buy, Try, Return if you no likey is the best advice I can give. :(

@vapor

The HCL is unclear about the P5K-Deluxe. It says EFI (EFI 8?) works but nothing about Vanilla and it looks like the audio does not work. Although it uses the same north and south bridge as the other boards. the P5k Delux is a nice board thought, I will get that one if I can get some sort of confirmation on its compatibility.

@Kimari It is my understanding that you either use AHCI mode and lose the 2 jmicron sata ports or you use this fix:

1) This happens with many motherboards. If you have 4GB of ram in dual Channel, you may get a kernel panic when ram usage peaks above 3gb(I have Kernel Panics even when not all 4gb is utilized). To fix this simply:

-Go to Terminal. Enter "sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist"

-Authenticate. Add the "maxmem=3072" in between the strings under Kernel Flags

-Note* 3072(3gb) is not the magical number here. It may not be the highest you can set your ram. It seems to have stopped any kernel panics but I have not played around raising it 32mb each time and testing if i get kernel panic. If someone wants to play around and fine the Threshold and share with us, I will edit this and give you credit.

-Save and Exit

Another Fix: AHCI enabled seems to stop these problems.

Anyone have any other experiences with the P5K Deluxe Board? I am concerned about the audio.

-T