Acer CrystalEye webcam

kalyway

12 posts in this topic

Hey guys

I got an Acer CrystalEye webcam on my Aspire 5920G.

It's built-in and runs on a USB port, like System Profiler says (weird...)

I open iChat, and the webcam turns on (the green light infront of the webcam) but all I get is a green screen.

Also, I need help with Photo Booth... gives me an error saying my gfx card is not supported. any solution?

I know there are a few hackers out there who can solve this problem in no time :)

thx

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

HI, I was searching around for a solution to this and came across this thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...;hl=acer+webcam

I'm a total Newb, so I just tried what this guy says on Post #13 and somehow it fixed the problem! I can now use my Crystal Eye webcam that came with my Acer Extensa 5620! Now if I can only get my ethernet/wifi to work....

Here's what that post says:

After Extensive research on this problem I have a partial fix. The built in UVC driver is the problem sorta well rather it one of its components that is my problem with photo booth. The driver it self also has issues that need to be addressed.

By deleting /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreMediaIOServicesPrivate.framework/Versions/A/Resources/VDC.plugin

I was able to get photo booth to work with my sonix cam for the first time ever. This is because the {censored} as UVC VDC.plugin in OSX forces my cam to work at higher res's then it is capable of doing. By deleting that plugin the cam defaults to a res it can handle and thus works. I still do not have ichat support but that i should be able to figure out soon. Some other edits to the UVC driver should fix that next.

• 2 months later...
Hey guys

I got an Acer CrystalEye webcam on my Aspire 5920G.

It's built-in and runs on a USB port, like System Profiler says (weird...)

I open iChat, and the webcam turns on (the green light infront of the webcam) but all I get is a green screen.

Also, I need help with Photo Booth... gives me an error saying my gfx card is not supported. any solution?

I know there are a few hackers out there who can solve this problem in no time :)

thx

I don't know how but I got the same Acer Crystal Eye Webcam working on Acer 4310.

It's actually working right now and I am using ichat and/or yahoo messenger. I have no idea why it is detected as usb webcam but macam does not work.

iusbcam probably helps but I don't know how.

I was even able to use photobooth at one point because it too work but only for a while. After reboot I was not able to make it work again.

Please don't ask me how I did it.

I really don't know the answer.

Perhaps the answer lies inside the OS itself becoz it was detected and somehow it only needs configuration.

Who knows maybe someone here have figured it out already and he just need to post his answer.

• 6 months later...
I don't know how but I got the same Acer Crystal Eye Webcam working on Acer 4310.

It's actually working right now and I am using ichat and/or yahoo messenger. I have no idea why it is detected as usb webcam but macam does not work.

iusbcam probably helps but I don't know how.

I was even able to use photobooth at one point because it too work but only for a while. After reboot I was not able to make it work again.

Please don't ask me how I did it.

I really don't know the answer.

Perhaps the answer lies inside the OS itself becoz it was detected and somehow it only needs configuration.

Who knows maybe someone here have figured it out already and he just need to post his answer.

I got my Crystal Eye webcam working today with some fiddling. Works perfectly in Skype. Doesn't work in Photobooth, and half works with vertical lines in iChat (using iusbcam). Here's what I did:

- Download and install Camtwist

- pick Acer CrystalEye Webcam in Camera (lower right)

- choose PIP (picture in Picture) as the effect. Verify that your cam is working with the Preview under Tools.

- expand the PIP to take up the full size of the window by moving the Scale slider all the way to the right

- set the preferences to use CamTwist for all the apps you need it for

Then to get Camtwist running on bootup

- in System Preferences go to Accounts, Login Items, add CamTwist to open upon login and check "Hide"

It loads unobtrusively at bootup and is ready to use. if anyone knows how to get iChat working better, please share.

BTW for the other Acer user who couldn't get wifi working, just replace the miniPCI wifi with another working one (ie Broadcom 1020). It's easy, I'd never done it before and it was a snap. Cost me $15 on eBay.

Cheers

Good luck!

I got my Crystal Eye webcam working today with some fiddling. Works perfectly in Skype. Doesn't work in Photobooth, and half works with vertical lines in iChat (using iusbcam). Here's what I did:

- choose PIP (picture in Picture) as the effect. Verify that your cam is working with the Preview under Tools.

- expand the PIP to take up the full size of the window by moving the Scale slider all the way to the right

- in System Preferences go to Accounts, Login Items, add CamTwist to open upon login and check "Hide"

It loads unobtrusively at bootup and is ready to use. if anyone knows how to get iChat working better, please share.

BTW for the other Acer user who couldn't get wifi working, just replace the miniPCI wifi with another working one (ie Broadcom 1020). It's easy, I'd never done it before and it was a snap. Cost me $15 on eBay.

Cheers

Good luck!

Hey - I also got Photobooth working now that I deleted that VDC plugin file

Cheers

Good luck!

Hey - I also got Photobooth working now that I deleted that VDC plugin file

Thanks a bunch!

I got it working.

Cheers. :D

• 11 months later...