Successfulyl installed kalyway... but I get a "Missing operating system" error...?

kalyway

12 posts in this topic

OK.

After help here on the forums (you guys know who you are, thanks :))

I successfully managed to install kalyway on my Aspire 5920G.

Another error.

I try to boot kalyway (yes, that partition is set to active)

But I get an error saying "Missing operating system".

Is it something related to me choosing GUID instead of MBR during installation? I didn't change anything at "Customize" during installation except the Vanilla kernel.

Anyone?

Thanks.

U need the bootloader. That is what allows a hack to load the osx on your pc. Without a hacked bootloader it's just a pc.

Absolutely correct. You cannot run the Vanilla Kernel without PC EFI. This is one of the main reasons for the development of PC EFI. If you do not install PC EFI, you must run a modified kernel.

Also, should you choose to install the GUID PC EFI boot-loader, make sure you format your drive in GUID. The same goes for MBR (choose MBR PC EFI = format the drive in MBR).

If you're installing onto a partition, then yes, only format the partition GUID/MBR. If you have a dedicated HD for OS X, then format the entire drive GUID/MBR.

Yes, Disk Utility will help you format GUID/MBR. Select the drive or partition you want OS X to install to in Disk Utility, then I believe you select the Partition Tab, select 1 Partition, then click the Options button. Under said Options menu, select either GUID or MBR.

I am using GUID... GUID is nice because you can resize existing partitions.

I am running a dedicated hackint0sh though, and from what I understand you are dual booting? Some posts I've been able to read (though I have to say I don't pay much attention as the information doesn't pertain to me) have said that MBR is better for dual booting when using PC EFI. You can try GUID, but if that doesn't work out for you, use MBR.

• 5 months later...
If you're installing onto a partition, then yes, only format the partition GUID/MBR. If you have a dedicated HD for OS X, then format the entire drive GUID/MBR.

Yes, Disk Utility will help you format GUID/MBR. Select the drive or partition you want OS X to install to in Disk Utility, then I believe you select the Partition Tab, select 1 Partition, then click the Options button. Under said Options menu, select either GUID or MBR.

While I was formatting the drive i never got these options: Select the drive or partition you want OS X to install to in Disk Utility, then I believe you select the Partition Tab, select 1 Partition, then click the Options button. Under said Options menu, select either GUID or MBR.

what to do?????????

While I was formatting the drive i never got these options: Select the drive or partition you want OS X to install to in Disk Utility, then I believe you select the Partition Tab, select 1 Partition, then click the Options button. Under said Options menu, select either GUID or MBR.

what to do?????????