Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Allan

Forum Rules   04/13/2018

Hello folks! As some things are being fixed, we'll keep you updated. Per hour the Forum Rules don't have a dedicated "Tab", so here is the place that we have our Rules back. New Users Lounge > [READ] - InsanelyMac Forum Rules - The InsanelyMac Staff Team. 
marliwahoo

Noobs: Back up your kexts before upgrades !

9 posts in this topic

I have just helped several noobs get started with Leopard. None of them, like me when I was new to osx86, new to back up kexts, before updating.

Back up your kexts !! :D You have been warned.

Hey, really help them, describe how can they do it. Or this is not a guide, just a sugestion.

How about I do the guide :P

Here is the guide for you n00bs that wish to backup your kexts:

Open Terminal and type in these commands:

sudo -s
[enter password]
cp -r /System/Library/Extensions /System/Library/Extensions.backup
cp -r /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.backup

And thats about it -_- Here is how you restore the backup from Terminal:

sudo -s
[enter password]
cp -r /System/Library/Extensions.backup /System/Library/Extensions
cp -r /mach_kernel.backup /mach_kernel

If you are restoring from single user mode (-s at F8 prompt), its the same commands except type in this command before you do the above commands:

mount -uw /

Kindly correct me if I am wrong :)

If you are restoring from single user mode (-s at F8 prompt), its the same commands except type in this command before you do the above commands:

Tiny change: I don't believe sudo is needed in single user mode. Because you are already root.

I hope that's not nit picking. If it is sorry.

No, marliwahoo you are right :) -s puts you in #root command.

But I can't help thinking that single user mode is dangerous. Anyone could go near your computer and destroy everything from single user mode.

Thanks, this is helpful as every time I'm updating it's killing my install and I can't figure out how to roll back... gives me something else to try