Build a Mac Pro equivalent workstation for 1/3 the cost

9 posts in this topic

That article was written just before Apple updated their Mac Pro... which, of course, is the time when it was the least value for the price. However, I doubt it will be possible to build an equal workstation to the Mac Pro the day after Apple updated the Mac Pro.

I've looked, and it is impossible to find any 8 core computer for under $3000, much less $2799.

That article was written just before Apple updated their Mac Pro... which, of course, is the time when it was the least value for the price. However, I doubt it will be possible to build an equal workstation to the Mac Pro the day after Apple updated the Mac Pro.

I've looked, and it is impossible to find any 8 core computer for under $3000, much less $2799.

But the workstations in that article do come with 2 quads (albeit slower), 8 GB RAM, two 500GB 7200RPM SATA hard drives. Such a configuration would make a Mac Pro a lot more expensive ($4,649.00. If you go for just one CPU, $4,149.00).

Yes, Apple charges too much for RAM and hard drives. Everyone knows this. No one buys RAM or Hard drives from Apple when buying a Mac, but everyone uses Apple's RAM prices to make the compared systems seem so much cheaper. He also used 2.33GHz Xeons compared to 3.0GHz ones in the Mac. I've yet to see an "equivalent" computer that's actually equivalent.

It's hard to do a direct comparison now since the current Mac Pros use 800MHz FBDIMMs, which are expensive no matter where you get them - 8GB is $1500 from Apple, or $940 from Crucial. NewEgg doesn't sell them yet. Just to make it easier to compare, since his computer used 667, you can get 8GB of FBDIMMs from NewEgg for $270 (2GB x 4). The same two 500GB SATA drives he used in his computer could have worked in the Mac Pro.

Let's bump his CPUs up to 2.8GHz too, to make it fair. That adds about $900 to his price. With those changes, the Mac Pro is $3270, but doesn't have the Quadro, but it does have 2GB more RAM, and an extra 320GB HD. His computer would be $3268. Of course, now that 667 MHz FBDIMMs are a reasonable price, the new Mac Pro uses 800MHz, so this comparison can't really happen.

Why do compare a Laptop? Topic: "Build a Mac Pro equivalent workstation for 1/3 the cost"

Configure a Dell T7400 and you will see that the Mac Pro is not expensive (consider not to buy RAM and HDD from Apple of course)

http://www.dell.com/content/products/produ...=biz&cs=555

Comparing Laptops: show me an equivalent Macbook Pro with 100% Aluminium finish

Why do compare a Laptop?

Because sarahbau wrote: "I've yet to see an "equivalent" computer that's actually equivalent."

Comparing Laptops: show me an equivalent Macbook Pro with 100% Aluminium finish

A)I don't like aluminium finish on a laptop.

B)Aluminium finish doesn't warrant a double price.