Resolution Changing? Problems... Graphics Card?

skezza

29 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

Got iatkos installed. Runs great, really impressed with it. Apart from the soundcard, all is well pretty much.

Got the GeForce 8400 running, but when I change resolution, it seems to go to the desktop background without any GUI. Then if i click the off button, i get for a second the interface but it just shuts down. So i have not got time to save the changes. is there anyway of doing it in terminal, the gui itself, a patch etc?

Cheers :D

okay, continuing on about the resolution. The natural res is 800x600. without drivers and just using VGA its 1024x768. I can get it to change, but not show up the GUI for me to save the changes. I am not sure what the deal is with that, ideas are welcome

but im going to look into some more methods of how to do it. i think it really needs to be done, that and the wireless card, but anyway :)

And once in safe mode, its actually quite difficult to change the resolution on the main desktop. very annoying. my main issue is that the file that is 'supposedly' editable with a text editor, is totally garbled, but when i remove it, so it can make a fresh one, it just gets the same thing as before. can anyone upload a fresh com.apple.windowserver for us? i might be able to fix it ;)

Thats something I need to know... After leopard GFX update, intel 945 goes do 1024x.. my mon cant handle that, so I m f*ck*d..

Even if I restore the old kexts, it stills gets that resolution as default... so I woud really like to know how to change resolution in single user mode....

I had the same issue on my 19" TFT at home, but as soon as I hooked it up to my 23" Cinema Display at the office everything works as should.

I know this doesn't solve your problem, but perhaps might lead to a solution of some sorts....my first guess would be somewhere in the monitor detection (whichever kext/plist/etc that may be...I'm still pretty new to all of this)

hmm... I havent check mon auto-detection... it always works (LG 22'' 1680x1050) .. on the vga-out, the internal laptop also cant handle 1024x.. both screens go dark..

I reinstalled it all, was testing kalyway (btw jez how it is faster then iatkos here, both vanilla on a acer 5630 c2d t5500... )

There is a kalyway 10.5.2 kernel update (besides 10.5.2 combo) on p(rateay I didnt make... you did it ? can you change resolution with that kernel on 945 ? (after gfx update)

the deal is, basically, theres a plist file called com.apple.windowserver. It is supposed to contain the height, width etc, however mine is garbled. Im looking on the internet for somewhere where i can possibly download a replacement default. In that you can define the refresh rate, and the resolution.

Ill keep you updated

ive been reading elsewhere that the reason its garbled, is because you have to use a Mac Text Editor. There isnt one for Windows ironically hahaha :) but, apparantly opening it in terminal may be the answer. Im finding a command that might help. apparantly got to open it with the property list editor, so we'll see

im getting closer i hope ;)

Cheers for that

For those who need to reset the res and refresh rate, apparantly holding shift while booting will reset the values. What im trying to do is set a non standard res, which is 1680x1050. It is not available in sys prefs but my monitor and card can handle it. It would be easier if the wireless was working. any usb wireless cards that work in both windows and mac? :o

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-Wireless-Card-fo...7QQcmdZViewItem

im assuming this beast would be supported?

oh i see, some files are in binary. you can convert them

From binary to text (XML):

plutil -convert xml1 some_file.plist

From text or XML to binary:

plutil -convert binary1 some_other_file.plist

what graphics card? if its nvidia, did you use nvinject. a lot of my issues went when i installed nvinject. but i have not updated to 10.5.2 ive been to into just getting the wireless etc working. Im still trying to get the same as your third one working, the chip just doesnt want to :D