I should know how to do this but I'm totally brain dead this morning...

vaporATX

4 posts in this topic

I duped my main OS X drive with Superduper 2.5 to a partition on a sercondary drive. Now I know I have to install pc_efi on this partition so I can boot off of it, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it and have the Darwin bootloader pick it up. I've been seraching all morning for info, and I know it's there... maybe I'm too brain fried to be doing this right now. A kick in the head would be much apreciated.

I had the similar issue, what I did was boot from the OS X DVD, made sure that the EFI folder was on my USB Flash stick.

Once the installer loaded I launched the Disk Utility from the tools menu, unmounted the drive in question, noted down 2 important things

1. device info i.e. rdiskXsY (where X is drive, Y is partition)

2. if it was GUID or MBR.

Exit Disk Utility, go into Terminal and browse the folder for EFI\pc_efi_v80

once you are in the folder where the startupfiletool is located (check via ls) run the following command for MBR

./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsY ./boot_v8 (Enter)

use the following command for GUID

./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsY ./boot_v8 (Enter)

dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY bs=512 count=1 (Enter)

dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1 (Enter)

Once this is done, you may now proceed to boot your system from your cloned drive.

Good Luck!

Yeah, now I remember! Thank you, man! It's embarassing when you installed your system using that method, but you just can't make your brain work. That's what spending all last night doing a flippin' 40 workstation Vista roll out for a customer who you advised not to do it will do to your brain. My poor assistant was ready to choke down a revolver by about 4 am. Redmond needs an Airstrike. :)

Thanks again!