USB Drivers, SpeedStep and a couple other questions

skezza

6 posts in this topic

Installed iatkos 1.0i on my Intel Quad Core with 2GB RAM. I am very impressed. Really nice, and works really fast when loaded (Booting is slow, but then again i dont know what booting is like on a normal Mac). Just had a few questions if you'd all try to help i'd really appreciate it :) . I am more of a Linux and Windows man, so if i seem useless on a Mac give us a sec to get my brain in gear :wacko:

1. Got a nVidia GeForce 8400GS. From what i've read theres no support for this at all. Tried nvinject etc, but seems fair dead to me when I do. Just get a kernel panic. Just wondering if theres any other drivers that might run it? Currently the resolution etc is locked because i assume its using Mac's Standard VGA Adaptor... Also X11 is just looping everytime I run it, I assume this is a consequence.

2. Got a 3COM USB Wireless Card (ID: 3CRUSB10075). Installed the zydas driver, but no luck (either that or im doing something wrong). I was referred to http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/21816 (which i havnt tried yet, but will do in a few hours). It seems to be detecting it, but being a bit of a novice on a Mac, i wouldnt know how to install drivers etc. I just executed the application itself. Any recommendations?

3. I have an Intel Quad Core, so if im right the SpeedStep technology can be utilized. But I did not install that from the start, is there any method of installing it after ive installed OSX itself. Everytime i put the MAC DVD in to start a new installation it kills my windows partition, so id rather not have to reinstall it if possible.

4. Oh and also, on the Abit motherboard, is AC'97 audio, whats the deal with getting that going? or is that a no no?

Cheers guys,

Hopefully ill be able to input some decent information about diagnosing motherboards etc. Mine DOESNT support EFI at all. I have an Abit IP35 Pro, and it simple restarts if you put EFI emulation on, so im guessing that motherboard can go under 'failed miserably" :D

AC'97 hardly ever works.

If you search the osx86 forums, they have a wiki with a patched kext which loads for me but fails after some time, which makes me have to reboot the PC.

I don't know about any of the other things.

Also, not every person online is going to help you, or can help you.

Relax, do some searching yourself, and try to figure it out on your own until someone can help.

Ahh right fair enough. Didnt mean to get grouchy, bad day, and it was just a bit you know. Anyway, i got the GeForce 8400GS working, stupidly messed up the resolution so currently im looking through flat files trying to find the location of the resolution so i can change it from a text editor lol. No luck with the wireless or the audio, yet...