Laptop only works on external display

tonygoodchild

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have been searching through the forums but haven't found this problem anywhere, but apologies if this has been asked already.

I have a Sony VGN-FZ11M laptop, it hs an Nvidia 8400M graphics display. I have installed iACTOS and it ran fine, but only in normal SVGA 1024 x 768 resolution. So I then installed the NVinject drivers, now the OS is recognising the 8400 ok, and it can run at higher resolutions, and is 3d accelerated, however it will not run on the laptop display, only through the external display. The system will start to boot on the LCD display, and I can see it running in verbose mode all the way through to starting NVinject, then the LCD just goes black and the external display turns on. If I don't have an external display connect, the LCD still just sits there black.

Is there anything I can do to get the LCD display in the laptop running?

Many thanks!

Ah I've been reading over on the NVinject forums that this seems to be an issue with the Sony Vaio displays so I guess I will have to put up with it for now. At least I can uninstall NVinject and go back to the standard SVGA driver and display when I need to go on the road and use it, then reinstall NVinject when I get back to the home or office for the better resolutions.

WTG to everyone who makes all this possible! :P

Now, off to PC World to try and find a compatible USB Wifi adaptor instead of this built in Intel Pro thing... :P

Have you ever tryied LaptopDisplay kext? Try searching forum...

Yeah I tried that but it didn't seem to work. From what I can understand reading through the forums about NVCAPs and the NVinject drivers the internal display doesn't seem to get set in the same way on the Sony Vaio, so it doesn't let you switch to it. To be honest its a bit over my head, but from what I can tell there isn't a solution *yet*

In the meantime as a workaround I have now specified the Graphics Mode in the com.apple.Boot.plist so that at least when I remove the NVinject drivers to travel and I am on the LCD panel the resolution is set to 1280x800 and I'm not seeing 1024x768 stretched out across the screen. Even if it isn't accelerated when I am away at least it looks right :-)

Of course this doesn't mean I wouldn't love someone to have the solution LOL

• 1 year later...

I've got the same issue on Samsung NP-R460 with 9200 M GS. the same graphic chip on some other samsung laptops works fine :( can anyone help us? I know 3 NP-R460 owners from russian hackintosh commynity that are trying to solve the same problem... still no result.

• 4 weeks later...

Any word if anyone has gotten this to work? I have a similar X460 and running into the same problem.

I've got the same issue on Samsung NP-R460 with 9200 M GS. the same graphic chip on some other samsung laptops works fine ^_^ can anyone help us? I know 3 NP-R460 owners from russian hackintosh commynity that are trying to solve the same problem... still no result.