Leopard and XP on 2 seperate drives

scifi_uk

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have been looking to install Leopard (I have got the Kalyway and iAtkos iso's) on my Fujitsu Scaleo Desktop but seem to be having some trouble. I have seen lots of howto's about dual booting on the same physical disk that has multiple partitions but i would like to do this on 2 seperate phyisical drives (both drives are 250Mb). First physical disk has XP which i need to preserve for the girlfriend until i convert her to OSX :wacko:, i would like to put OSX on the second drive.

I have installed a boot manager called Boot-US (http://www.boot-us.com/index.htm) although it does not say it handles HFS+ it does handle BSD. Maybe i need a different boot manager, any suggestions on that ?

I have tried both Kalyway and iAtkos original and 1.0ir2 with mbr, without mbr, EFI etc etc but can never get it too boot.

Does anyone know of a decent tutorial/howto on doing this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Quick update::

Thanks for the info guys, jwalker46 i did as you suggested and i am now booting into Leopard :D:)

Just some trouble with sound on my realtek hardware (makes everything really jerky) and crappy 1024x768 resolution on my ATI Radeon x700E card but thats for another day.

Once again, thanks to all that responded.

its not the best way but i think its the simplest and cleanest way. what i do is give my xp drive boot priority (so it will always automatically boot into xp when i turn the pc on). whenever i want to load osx, i just press f8 and select the drive and boot into that.

Hi; It's really simple (so simple that I stumbled onto it by accident):

(1) Be sure your Windows hdd is working fine, with original boot loader. (You can always re-install Windows boot loader by starting a clean install, then when prompted that there is already an installed OS, choose "repair".)

(2) Go into your BIOS, and be sure that the OSX hdd is set to boot first.

(3) Install OSX on its hdd.

When you re-boot, the Darwin boot loader will "see" a "foreign" bootable partition (that's your Windows hdd); simply elect it.

If this does not work for any reason, then install the Easy BCD bootloader (which is what I have).

Even easier and less work: use the chain0 method. I myself have XP and OSX on 2 separate IDE drives. Very easy. Just uses the XP boot loader itself along with the chain0 file to boot OSX on demand. No messing with your BIOS, you can choose which one boots by default, and how long you want the choices presented before it boots one by default. All you need to know is here: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Chain0

If you don't use AHCI drivers on your XP install be careful you don't boot into windows with the SATA mode set to AHCI. It'll frag you Windows install and require a repair install. I've had this happen to myself and a few of my buddies. Since I use AHCI on my Leopard install I went ahead and installed the AHCI drivers for XP to save me from my own mistakes. I still use the F8 method anyway because I have custom bios profiles for XP and Leopard. Since I have to switch bios profiles anyway for optimum performance on XP or Leo, hitting F8 after isn't that big a deal.