Help Installing 9.2.0 Kernel

Macshiba

2 posts in this topic

Hey guys, if someone could please help me I'd really appreciate it. This is my situation.

I installed the Kalyway 10.5.2 ComboUpdater, and it went fine. I don't have an EFI compatible system just letting everyone know. I tried using the Kalyway Kernel that was on TPB, but it failed to work.

I found the netkas universal 9.2.0 kernel which is named mach_92 when extracted.I tried to copy it over my original by doing the following from a guide:

sudo rm -rf /mach_kernel

sudo cp -R ~/Desktop/mach_kernel /mach_kernel

sudo chmod -R 644 /mach_kernel

sudo chown -R root:wheel /mach_kernel

I did rename the mach_92 to mach_kernel and had it on my desktop.

I seemed to work after I did the above steps, and I rebooted, but it would still load my original kernel, NOT the new one.

If I copy mach_92 to the root of my HD, and then boot the computer by typing "mach_92" at the prompt, it will load the new kernel, and it would boot perfectly, but if I try replacing my original by the step above it WILL NOT work.

Does anybody know the proper steps in order to replace my current kernel as I know my new kernel will work with my system, but I don't want to have to type mach_92 every type I boot.

I just want to replace my mach_kernel with my new one, but the steps above don't seem to work at all.Can someone please tell me the correct steps and commands in order to replace the mach_kernel with my new mach_kernel?

Thanks.

Also, if nobody knows how to replace it, does anybody know how to edit my boot options to load the new kernel automatically if by some chance I can't replace the original?

Or does anybody know how to do it if I boot up Terminal from my Leopard DVD or would the steps above work if I booted into single user mode?

I just need some kind of help in replacing my kernel since the guide I had used doesn't seem to be working.

Also, if nobody knows how to replace it, does anybody know how to edit my boot options to load the new kernel automatically if by some chance I can't replace the original?

Or does anybody know how to do it if I boot up Terminal from my Leopard DVD or would the steps above work if I booted into single user mode?

I just need some kind of help in replacing my kernel since the guide I had used doesn't seem to be working.

• 2 weeks later...

this is kinda old post, but i figure why not help??? im gonna go ahead and tell you to edit your com.apple.Boot.plist file and add the following lines

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_92</string>

that should make it boot mach_92 because mine has that in the boot file and it loads the kernel. so just leave the kernel you want in the same directory with whatever name you want, and fill in as above. should work :) good luck