Leopard working on GA-965P-S3

VanillaTbone

46 posts in this topic

I have finally got Leopard(Kalyway 10.5.1+10.5.2 Update) to install on my Gigabyte system. The thing that suprised me was the fact that I installed using an IDE HDD and DVD Burner. :thumbsup_anim:

282m1cw.png

If there is anyone else who is currently using a Gigabyte 965P-S3 motherboard please contact me if you have any questions regarding your install and I will post detailed info.

To see current info check out my sig at the bottom. :)

In my situation all I have are IDE devices at the moment. :) I installed the Kalyway DVD using a 300GB Western Digital(IDE) and a NEC Dvd Burner(IDE) with absolutely no problem at all.

I have this exact Motherboard and I was just starting to install 10.5.1 Kalyway.

But I am stuck on the first problem: diskutil in the OSX install disk does not recognize my RAID0 SATA setup. It recognizes both disks as separate disks, not as a RAID setup. Do you know if I can use and install OSX on a partition in the RAID setup?

Give me a bit to search for a solution to that setup and I will post it here when I find something. :)Gigabytes UNITE!! :P

Attention all Gigabyte 965P-S3 Users

Please update your BIOS to the latest version.

rev. 1.0 BIOS F13i 1-24-08

rev. 3.3 BIOS F13i 1-24-08

Well, I finally got a new disk (SATA, all my internal disks are SATA, and I have 5 of them, 2 in RAID) - disk2s1 is the one I am installing Leopard in.

I have VISTA bootloader working, in a triple boot system: Vista, XP and now Leopard.

My first attempts to install Leopard are not a good story. I have formated the new disk using MBR using the Kalyway 10.5.1 install disk. Choosed the Vanila kernel + ACPI Fix, a video driver for my Nvidia G7600GT card and the EFI_MBR. After ending the installation, and booting in to vista to create the Leopard entry in the bootloader, I tried to boot Leopard. Darwin/x86 boot options appeared and choosed -x, then -v, then -s, and all the times I tried some very fast letters/text appeared on the screen and the machine rebooted.

Well, I found some postings saying that we shouldn't choose anything else other than the kernel and EFI in the customization of the install, so I tried everything else without the video driver. Worst, this time not even the Darwin/x86 options or the very fast letters/texts appear - the machine just reboots.

Back to 1st option, now again with a video driver (a different one this time, the NATIT drivers). I will do this tomorrow night...

Ah, my BIOS is F12, I think... does it make a difference? And can I just format the disk with Leopard with GUID partion table mode, without impacting the way my machine boots, using Vista bootloader (which is in a different disk, of course)?

I personally used the GUID Boot Partition Method.

I DIDN'T install the Vanilla Kernel + Fix

I DIDN'T add any other install options from the install's "customize" menu

I DID format my HDD using the GUID Method

The only problem I had was that I was getting a Kernel panic during the first part of the install before I was able to get the actual install menu.

I figured out that it was my Nvidia card(6800GS OC 256Mb PCI-express) and therefore grabbed and old Savage Pro(4Mb PCI) card and installed successfully using it.

The way I look at it is, when you are installing....

Leave out all the extra BS option

Choose MBR or GUID and leave it to install

Odds are that if the option is in the install it can be installed at a later time, at least boot up into Leopard before you start tearing it apart. ;)

Let me know how it goes man. :P

With the 965P-S3 everything will work Ethernet/USB 2.0/Shutdown/Restart without any options or drivers. The things you will need are the Audio Drivers(ALC883) Drivers and Your Graphics Card Driver(Mine was NVinject 0.1.5).

Let me know how it goes man. :D

I am back to square 1, with the boot problems but at least Darwin/x86 appears on screen (in square 2 I just got a black screen and then a reboot).

I will try tu assure that EFI is correctly installed in the disk, and I will let you know how it goes.

++ Update ++

Nothing. Just updating EFI isn't enough.

I will now proceed with chaging MBR to GUID... and reinstall everything. Fist with Vanilla+Fix, NATIT drivers and EFI_GUID.

++ Update 2 ++

Nothing again. This time Chain booting error. Chain0 files is also no go.

Back to MBR. This time following your proposal: no vanilla, no fix, no drivers, just EFI_MBR.

:D

Yes, yes, yes...

Finally. It boots, in MBR. I also DIDN'T install the Vanilla Kernel + Fix, but I have included the NATIT video drivers (and then SwithResX to make 1680x1050 resolution available)...

Network is working, but no Sound. I have Creative Audigy2 ZS and it doesn't recognize it. I read somewhere it should have been detected automatically but no.

PS2 keyboard and mouse are also not available... and I will need them.

So, now to a different black board: make sound work, then PS2 keyb+mouse.

After that, update to 10.5.2.

PS - One question: not choosing Vanilla kernel, which kernel are we using? It isn't the plain Apple one, right?

GOOD WORK!

This is the "About This Mac" Readout with 10.5.2 installed:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac

Model Identifier: 965P-S3

Processor Speed: 3.01 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 1 MB

Memory: 3 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.2 (9C31)

Kernel Version: Darwin 9.1.0

Boot Volume: Leopard

Boot Mode: Normal

These are mine:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac

Model Identifier: Mac Pro

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 3.24 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 1.62 GHz

Boot ROM Version: Hack.int.0sh

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.2 (9C31)

Kernel Version: Darwin 9.1.0

Boot Volume: Leopard

Boot Mode: Normal

I fixed the PS2 issue, but not the sound. Just did the upgrade to 10.5.2 (kalyway combo).

I know have the kalyway_10.5.2._kernels.mpkg to install. In the package we have the Vanilla and the pathed kernels... Should I have a try with the Vanilla kernel? I don't think so.

I wouldn't mess with the kernel personally. That is why I just left it as it was at the time of the install. My machine is running flawlessly at the moment. ;)

If you have the GA-965P-S3 you will need the AL883 Kext package to get your audio working.

I had no problem finding it in the forums... :D

*UPDATE*

I am currently in the progress of getting my website up which will host all the files needed for the install and update. It should be completed and ready to use by morning. :)

*UPDATE* #2

A simple version of my website is fully functional and ALC883 package is on the Updates page ready for download. :)

I originally installed Leopard on an IDE drive and it took first try. I then proceeded to do a full dualboot with Vista and got it working perfectly now. THe problem I had the most with? Getting Vista to install with SATA port set to AHCI mode. What a PITA that was but I got it installed.

What does the latest F13i bios do?

F13i - 2008/01/24 -

1. beta bios
  2. Enable 45nm CPU with non official support, due to Intel having no official guarantee for 45nm CPUs on non-3 series chipsets

Basically you can run the newest Core 2 Extreme Quads(45nm process) with the Beta BIOS. :P

You can download all the latest 965P-S3 Bios(rev. 1.0 & 3.3) on my website Here

I have this exact Motherboard and I was just starting to install 10.5.1 Kalyway.

But I am stuck on the first problem: diskutil in the OSX install disk does not recognize my RAID0 SATA setup. It recognizes both disks as separate disks, not as a RAID setup. Do you know if I can use and install OSX on a partition in the RAID setup?

No, this doesn't work because the Gigabyte's raid is a hybrid (software/hw) raid and not a true sata raid.

Only the windows driver supports this hardware correctly. Under Linux and OS X you're forced to run them as JBOD (just a bunch of disks) and if you want raid, you'll have to run a software raid. I was really bummed about this, but I guess it's to be expected.

I need help Installing OSx86 10.5 Leopard on my system.

GA-965P-S3

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

2 GB DDR2 667

SATA Hard Disk Drive

I'm trying to get a Win XP and Leopard dual boot system, but I can't seem to even install leopard on it's own.

Therefore, leaving dual booting aside for now, how do I get Leopard (Kalyway) working on my system? :S

What BIOS settings are required on this motherboard?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers,

latin_l3oi

Hello,

I've tried installing it again, having the BIOS setting AHCI set to enabled, but this time, the installation finished "Successfully" but after the reboot, it can't get past POST, I get an error message saying something like:

"0b error"

or something similar to that...

I wonder what could be wrong... :rolleyes:

What color are the ports do you have the sata drive plugged into?

Is WinXP already installed?

There is another setting for the SATA mode and I believe it should be set to IDE. Not at home so can't really tell. Does your machine bootup if you leave the DVD in the drive?

hello, i have a problem... leopard doesn`t recognize my HDD, which is connected as a RAID.. I have IDE HDD, but i want install Leopard on my 2 RAID drives.

MY SETUP: Gigabyte GA-965S3, 2x Seagate 250GB RAID 0, plug on motherboard.

can you help me and write me the settings as well for BIOS?

Thank you, but have I some chances for change my RAID to SATA without deleting and lost

my stuff on HDD?

Powaking: Can you write me your setup for installation leopard?? ahci on? and HDD in SATA plug?

AHCI is in the Orange plug. On that same BIOS screen where you setup the AHCI at the top I believe you have to set the SATA mode to IDE down towards the bottom (can't remember what its called as I am at work; I believe anything else otherwise the DVD won't boot).

Make sure you backup all your data from your RAID setup because you will lose stuff when you break your raid.