BIOS Setings for GA-965P-DS3

formerglory

4 posts in this topic

Hey all, I've been reading a few threads on the Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 mobo and the ICH8/Jmicron controllers. I have all my hardware working with 10.5.2 (successful update!) from the Kalyway installer with PC_EFI and all the good stuff. So, everything works except two of my orange SATA ports. From what I've read, this is a common problem and I've taken several steps to try to fix this.

I tried using Mistico's ICH8 patch, trauma23's patch, and the Gigabyte DS3-4 patch for 10.4.9, all to no avail. I believe it might be my BIOS settings. I've got XP on another hard drive, and OS X on a 500 GB Seagate SATA on the purple controller (which works, I have my DVD-ROM drive attached to it as well). For those who have a GA-965P-DS3 board, what are your BIOS settings and what did you guys do to get all your orange ports working?

Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. I have the same mobo revision 1.0. All orange ports and purple ports work. Back things up before trying anything just in case. If you have more than one drive say if you have Time machine on another drive, the one that boots should be on the top most part and the hardisk with the Time Machine should be on the bottom part any bottom part of the orange ports (the orange ports are divided into two sets). Same with the purple port. If you have another bootable hardisk with a different OS, Windows for example, it should be on the top part also. The safest BIOS setting is Disabling the AHCI option of the orange port and putting the purple port options to IDE. If you're going to use AHCI for something like Kalyway's Leopard, the bootable hardisk should only be in the top most part of the top set of the orange port. You could use the purple port as well for AHCI. The top most part would be the safest place to plug the bootable one as well. Windows could use AHCI but you have to install the driver for it first before setting it in the BIOS. This works for me but if it doesn't for you, the best way is trial and error (switch between ports and BIOS settings). But I hope it'll work for you.