random programs freeze up.

mtotho

3 posts in this topic

i have a pretty darn near flawless install (specs in sig hack 1). It can handle most programs with no problem.. but some programs like mail and preview just freeze up and become very hard to quit.. even with force quit.. anyone have any ideas?

• 3 months later...

random freezes usually indication of 2+ gb ram problem, caused by sata/pata drivers dont agree to work on large files/programs that work in 64 bit mode...

so far I am aware of the problem o nforce chipsets and, on intel chipsets with jmicron controller...

since you have additional controller (jmicron on your system) it is the causes bcoz you have 8 gb (2<8) ram...

solution1: take 6 gb off

solution2: disable jmicron controller and use your original ich controller (1x ide + 3x sata) dont use the jmicron and disable it...

no other solution yet unless you know how to fix jmicron controller and make it 64 bit functional...

edit: also upod close check up off specs: yo have also raid array most likely on silicon image controller which is the third one, i m not sure if this one supports 64 bit either...

best guess/test would be to disable jmicron first, and create a 1gb+ rar file and try to unrar the file... if it doesnt freeze, you are good to go, if it freezes you either didnt disable jmicron or your silicon image drivers for raid doesnt fully support 64 bit...

the issue happens when dealing with large files and/or programs that use large amount of memory (2gb+)

good luck...