10.5.1 vs. 10.5.2

Hamb0ne

22 posts in this topic

Hamb0ne, this is really good to hear. i was trying to update with the real thing....and down goes the leopard hahahaaha.. i did follow netcas, but no success. i'm going to try the hack version tonight. i was wonderng if you have update the grafik aswell?

yea, lol.. the netkas way seems complicated so i just used the Kalyway version. i already had the 10.5.2 graphics drivers(v.32 pkg) installed prior to the 10.5.2 update(which were the same) so theres no increase performance. you can use Johnnie's Nvinstall v.32 Pkg or the apple update. they are both the same

EDIT: the final v.33 installer is out.

HAMBONE, took your advice on update, kaly style, I installed it with no problem, but I did have a small issue. When I reboot or just start my laptop, it takes me from the gray screen with wheel, to a black screen for like 4 mins than finally I am in the OS, is there something I should do or what? Mind you I have an Dell E1705 2 Gigs mem, 1.67 Ghz Core 2 Duo and my bench is rated at 98.90 with Kaly 10.5.1. Please help!

Kalyway combo update does not have the kernel with it. search for the vanilla kernel update by kalyway on the bay and you will find a simple installer for 10.5.2 kernel.

Also, unless you have nforce or amd board, i dont see what the big deal is with 'Devins modified version of netkas' 10.5.2 update' tutorial. It is as simple as copy and paste 3 command lines.. not brain surgery... and it is much quicker to download the real update.

HAMBONE, took your advice on update, kaly style, I installed it with no problem, but I did have a small issue. When I reboot or just start my laptop, it takes me from the gray screen with wheel, to a black screen for like 4 mins than finally I am in the OS, is there something I should do or what? Mind you I have an Dell E1705 2 Gigs mem, 1.67 Ghz Core 2 Duo and my bench is rated at 98.90 with Kaly 10.5.1. Please help!

lol @ mototho, umm dizzeeosx.. the problem with the delay is your 10.5.2 graphics driver (beta or new) doesnt work with the old kernel(9.1) in the 10.5.2 update. just update your kernel with the kalway kernal update from TPB and no more dealy..

this is my score in both 10.5.1 and 10.5.2 + graphics update
Good to see you're pleased wth your update, but . . . .

. . . XBench ain't the most accurate indicator of performance; & as you see from the attached snap comparing identically configured 10.5.1/10.5.2 installs, is a touch unclear at to the meaning of noticeably varying figures like - say - "user interface test"

post-103618-1203073157_thumb.png

@mtotho

You are right, the official 10.5.2 update is not difficult to install at all. But did you noticed that, when running Disk Utility to check/repair permissions after the update, that some unrepairable SUID errors appear? This does not happen with the Kalyway update...

I know that it can be ignored but does someone know why these file permissions errors appear??

Ok folks figured it out and really worked like a charm. I installed Kaly 10.5.2 ComboUpdate, then rebooted. Took 3.2 mins to boot back up, then I repaired permissions and installed Kaly Patched Kernels. Rebooted. The computer than booted like 1 min. but after some playing around, and rebooting my E1705 boots in OSX in about 35 secs. from bios to gray screen and into the OS, I am impressed now.

Note: If you install Leo Graphic update, the bench marks might fall slightly. I went from a 97 10.5.1, to a 110 10.5.2, but with graphics update 10.5.2 i am now about 94-96. so just a warning, and I didn't notice a difference in graphics.

Also, Sleep blows, now my laptop locks up when it goes to sleep.

I also had to redo powerManagement Kext to get the power meter, and had to delete again the AppleACPIThermal.kext to get the laptop running cool, which by the way was running at 76 and now is in the 40-50's, SWEET MUSIC!