ATi Radeon 9600PRO - Theory

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

After setting up OSX using deadmoos' image i have had pretty much no troubles at all, infact i now have two machines running it nativly, one machine is a Dell Dimension 3000, which takes everything perfectly and runs without a hitch, the other is my own custom built PC. Everything on my PC works very well except for the GFX card (256m Radeon 9600PRO) i have to use -x and "Graphi..... when booting other wise i get the grey screen asking me to reset (Kernel Panic).

After reading some interesting threads

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=840

and

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=757

I looked into adding my Device\Vendor information into the ATIRadeon9700.kext that exists in my extensions folder, from what ive heard 9600PRO\9700 are pretty much the same card. Now my problem lies here, im guessing in safe mode that no matter if you load the extension it will not impact the perfermance, as it is in safe mode, so my question is how would i edit the /etc/rc file force it to use the ATIRadeon9700.kext and possibly skip the part where it scans for a driver (if thats what it even does).

Thanks Guys!

Hi guys,

After setting up OSX using deadmoos' image i have had pretty much no troubles at all, infact i now have two machines running it nativly, one machine is a Dell Dimension 3000, which takes everything perfectly and runs without a hitch, the other is my own custom built PC. Everything on my PC works very well except for the GFX card (256m Radeon 9600PRO) i have to use -x and "Graphi..... when booting other wise i get the grey screen asking me to reset (Kernel Panic).

After reading some interesting threads

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=840

and

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=757

I looked into adding my Device\Vendor information into the ATIRadeon9700.kext that exists in my extensions folder, from what ive heard 9600PRO\9700 are pretty much the same card. Now my problem lies here, im guessing in safe mode that no matter if you load the extension it will not impact the perfermance, as it is in safe mode, so my question is how would i edit the /etc/rc file force it to use the ATIRadeon9700.kext and possibly skip the part where it scans for a driver (if thats what it even does).

Thanks Guys!

i have tried it no good

a side note : i tried this on my ati aiw 9600 also but it was a waste of time so dont bother

alot of trem time and alot of renaming the 9700 drivers

and all i got was this at boot

cant allocate class "ATIRadeon9600"

i know i did it right cos when i get into osx i load the kext manualy thru the term and it says they load np

but i never get any support or even a kext is loaded in the system profiler

now maybe if you can find the Class for the 9700 and rename that

then ill send you the already modified 9600 drivers and whatnot i have

if i could have found the class entry and renmedt it to 9600 it would have be on!!!!

just move or delete the ati kexts

i never had to del them to get it to boot normal but i took out the ati card for nowand am using the 856 chipset vedio that came with my mobo had to hack them too to get Quartz extreme to work

but atleast now i have nice video and higher res

I made it load the Radeon9700.kext by putting into the /etc/rc file;

kextload /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext

I put this in just above the line that tries to load the AppleTPM (can't remember the exact extension name) and if you boot up with a -v it says the driver is loaded successfully.

By doing this I get the broken up display that I talked about in my thread so I'm assuming that it loaded and tries to use the extensions. Hope that helps.