XBMC?

hardcorehubz

8 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just tried it very quickly. It's an amazing piece of software, it has already has a TOn of features FrontRow doesn't have !

Unlike FrontRow, the interface is far from minimalist and glossy(although it looks pretty good), I was a bit confused with the amount of settings. But once, you're set, you're good to go.

It feels weird to have an XBox interface on a mac, almost like a betrayal, but it made me realise Apple could have done a MUCH better job of Front Row. The interface is, by the way, very responsive, you can use your mouse and/or a wiimote (with Darwiin remote installed and launched).

The strength of XBMC, I think(not sure), comes from the VLC engine running on the background, that means that it can run mkv720p ( and even 1080p according to previous post) out of the box. FrontRow can also do it associated with Perian, but it's not as efficient...

I tried playing mkvs/mp4s but the sound doesn't come out, this might be a hardware problem on my side, I'd just like to know if anyone here experienced that?

It's actually got ffmpeg underneath, not VLC (which also uses ffmpeg under the covers). OSXBMC actually uses some experimental H.264 decoding patches which gives it much better performance than VLC or MPlayer for OS X or Perian.

In terms of the audio, if you want analog output (i.e. 2-channel), make sure audio output mode is set to Analog, and the correct audio output is selected (i.e. Internal Speakers, etc.)

If you're connecting to a surround receiver, enable Digital Mode, and connect with an optical or coax digital cable.

Hope this helps.