OSx86 Install Won't Even START to Boot

RahamanPatrick

11 posts in this topic

Ok, so here's my problem. I've been trying to install the Kalyway 10.5.1 disk onto my computer. The first time I tried to install it it worked, sort of. It got to the booting screen after it was installed and told me I needed to restart my computer.

The next time I tried to install I did not select anything in the custom options except all the sound card drivers and the MBR option. This is because I have an 8600 GTS and I read that I have to do that, then install NVInject later.

I tried doing this three times, each time, the install finished, but my computer never gets past the BIOS and it never starts loading from the hard drive. I read that zeroing the partition can help so I did that too, still nothing. I know the HDD works fine becuase I'm runnning XP of it too (writing on that partition now).

Any ideas?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that before with the same computer I had OS X 10.4.8 running 100% perfectly. The only difference was the graphics card, which was an NVIDIA 6200 then.

SPECS:

Intel Pentium D 820

NVIDIA 8600 GTS

C-Media 9880L Onboard Sound Card

1 GB RAM

250GB SATA Seagate Barracuda

hi,

ive got a little bit same system as you, atm im waiting for my sata drive because no install dvd boots on ide drive... i will tell you if it worked for me when ive got the drive ( tomorrow i think )

here are my specs:

Intel pentium D 925

1GB Ram

ECS 7050VT-M

120GB IDE hdd

Palit geforce 8600gts 512mb RAM...

good luck anyway ;)

Hmm, my situation is really wierd though as I had 10.4.8 working perfectly before... :S

I even had the Kalyway install try and boot the first time, but after the second install it never tried to boot again.

Oh and my HDD is SATA by the way.

This sounds strangely similar with the problems I was having with the Kalyway 10.5.1 install I was doing on my system. After the BIOS post it will sit there with a blinking cursor, never getting to the point of loading the Darwin Bootloader.

From what I've been reading, there is a problem somewhere in the install process that causes it to do that if you are installing on a drive that has a space in the name. If your drive is named "Leopard HD", try renaming the drive "LeopardHD" or just "Leopard" and reinstalling... strangely this seems to fix the problem for me and a few other people.