Darwin X86 boot load order question....

DavidinCT

10 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I've been searching and cant find the clear info on how to do this. After a bunch of battling installing, I have Vista and Leopard running on the same drive using the Vista bootloader to select windows or mac.

When I select MAC the Darwin X86 loader comes up with a timer "press any key to select options"(or something like that). When I click something, I have to move to the MAC partition then select it to get OSX to load.

The question(s) I have here is... How do I make it default to the 2nd partition (the OSX partition) and to put the timer to 0, so it starts loading right away (or maybe 1-2 seconds in case problems down the road) ?

I'm sure this is simple but, I can't find the right answer....

Thanks for your help !!!

Thanks for the link. I tried this....(this is my current boot file)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>rd=disk0s2</string>
<key>Boot Graphics</key>
<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Quiet Boot</key>
	<string>No</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>0</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Now it does not show the count down but, Disk0s1 (NTFS/Vista) is highlighted and I still have to select Disk0s2 (MAC OSX).

Is it possible to basically disable the "bootloader" so when I boot with the "chain0" method and I select MAC OS from the vista bootloader, that it just starts loading Leopard. No selection, just load the OS ?

Is this possiable ?

Does anyone notice anything wrong with my boot file to make it boot off Disk0s2 ?

I checked these sites...

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...he_boot_options

http://www.neonkoala.co.uk/content/view/33/34

and it appears to be correct. I have gone at startup and typed "rd=disk0s2" it loaded fine but, when I put it in my boot file, it does nothing.

Ugh, anyone have an idea....??

-Dave

PS. Control+C and control+V don't work under mac, what is the shorcuts for copy and paste ??? (it's driving me nuts)

Could be wrong but check which partition is active.  Do you want to use Darwin bootloader or Vista's bootloader via EasyBCD??

I'm still trying to get mine dual booting correctly.  My Vista install was done with SATA set to IDE instead of AHCI so I'm having an issue getting AHCI mode working in Vista this way I won't have to manually make the change in BIOS to switch back and forth.

Could be wrong but check which partition is active.  Do you want to use Darwin bootloader or Vista's bootloader via EasyBCD??

I'm still trying to get mine dual booting correctly.  My Vista install was done with SATA set to IDE instead of AHCI so I'm having an issue getting AHCI mode working in Vista this way I won't have to manually make the change in BIOS to switch back and forth.

The active partition would be the Vista one (disk0s1), I would prefer to use the vista bootloader.

Just want so when I select MAX OSX (disk0s2), it just boots to mac with out having to play with it, kind of like what happens in Vista.

I am using IDE/Pata drives here, not sure if that makes any real difference.

After reading everything, it looks like a simple adjustment but, it does not work, that is what's driving me up a wall.

Thanks for any thoughts anyone can give here.. !!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have the same problem... I've just installed Leopard with dual boot (Vista). This is what's happening:

1) Turn on PC

2) Vista bootloader shows up

3) Select Mac OS X

4) Darwin shows up (with 3 partitions options)

5) Select Mac OS X partition

6) Mac OS X loads correctly

Is there a way to disable the Darwin bootloader and just keep the Vista one?

TIA,

Monkey