Make Windows default instead of mac? (Boot loader)

blazes816

14 posts in this topic

As it is now, when I turn on my computer it gives my 5 seconds to press any key. If i press a key, I can go to windows, otherwise it defaults to mac. I want this to work backwards, so that if I press a key I can boot to mac, otherwise it defaults to Windows. How can I do that?

(I'm very sorry for me extreme stupidity on the matter)

To do it the other way you need to change your active partition to Windows. You then need to add chain0 to windows (I like tboot personally). You then need to edit your boot.ini file to reference your chain0 file. I would suggest going simply searching "dual boot" on the site and you will find much more detailed instructions.

If you have it in 2 different HDDs like I do, you can set the default booting device to be the HDD where OS X is installed on, and you can always chose which HDD to boot into by pressing the appropriate key upon boot up (it changes depending on the motherboard and BIOS, in my case it's F8)

To set Darwin to boot from a particular partition:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>rd=diskXsY</string>

Where X is your hard drive number and Y is the partition number (BSD naming scheme)

if you are unsure about the rd value open Aplications>Utilities>Disk Utiliy, click on the partition with OSX installed and click on info, the right "rd" value is the value from "Disk Identifier"

(Terminal--> sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist)

Well, you may have missed it because i edited it in a bit after, i realized you may not have understood where that was. BTW, that was found right on the Wiki page. in "tips and tricks" i used it to change my primary boot from xp to LEopard in darwin (dont ask me how it got switched).

edit: oops that was wrong terminal command btw. this is the correct one

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Hmm didn't work for me. Darwin is disk0s2 and Windows is disk0s1. When I added the rd=disk0s1 it still defaulted to Leopard. Only thing is Leopard would not boot now but windows still booted if I selected it. Also both terminal commands you posted are the same is that correct?

If it makes sense my 2nd partition (Darwin) is set to active.

To set Darwin to boot from a particular partition:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>rd=diskXsY</string>

Where X is your hard drive number and Y is the partition number (BSD naming scheme)

if you are unsure about the rd value open Aplications>Utilities>Disk Utiliy, click on the partition with OSX installed and click on info, the right "rd" value is the value from "Disk Identifier"

(Terminal--> sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist)

Did this work?

I remember trying something similar which didn't.

And this is some info on chain0 from the wiki.

• 3 months later...