Installing bootloader for mbr partition and dual booting (Leo retail/XP 32bit)

Andrea3000

40 posts in this topic

Andrea3000,

That should work though why not just let the Kalyway disk install EFI? You need the boot0, boot1h and pc_efi_v8 installed (via startupfiletool) - you can do that manually if you want. If you try and use a retail DVD you'll need to swap out some of the kexts/run a postinstall script. I've not done that but there are a few sticky threads that could help.

SMF

I've found a topic with a step by step guide made exactly for my motherboard with all the kext to replace, but it's made for GPT so I can't follow it for install efi.

I want to make a clean install having the kernel as much originial as possible, so i prefere using the retail disc and not the kalyway.

Is it possible to use kalyway disc to install only efi then swapping to the retail for the rest of the install?

Thank you SMF!!! ;)

bye!

Well,

If you want to install just EFI you can use a USB flash drive to hold the files and then yes install boot0 to the MBR, boot1h to the start of your Leo partition and use startupfile tool to install pc_efi_v8.

If you want - point me to the guide you want to follow and I'll see if I have any other suggestions.

SMF

Well,

If you want to install just EFI you can use a USB flash drive to hold the files and then yes install boot0 to the MBR, boot1h to the start of your Leo partition and use startupfile tool to install pc_efi_v8.

If you want - point me to the guide you want to follow and I'll see if I have any other suggestions.

SMF

Thank you very much SMF!!!

This is the guide I want to follow, the only one thing I change will be the efi install because that guide is made for guid partition table.

To do so, from what you wrote, I have understood that this is how I have to do:

sudo –s (Enter)

cd /Volumes/"location of efi folder"/EFI/pc_efi_v80 (Enter)

./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsY ./boot_v8 (Enter) (where I already know the values of X and Y)

dd if=/"location of the files"/boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY bs=512 count=1 (Enter)

dd if=/"location of the files"/boot0 of=/dev/disk0 bs=400 count=1 (Enter)

I'll use boot1h and boot0 made for MBR (from kalyway dvd).

My hardware configuration is:

Gigabyte P35-DS3P

Intel core 2 duo E8400

XFX geforce 8800gts 320mb (G80)

Hard disk SATAII

dvd writer SATA

To manage the dual boot I've planned to do so:

I divide my hd in two partitions: one ntfs for XP and the other one FAT32 for leopard

Install XP

set leopard partition active

format the leopard driver as MBR and install leopard

then...hope it will boot booth XP and leopard :(

Thank you very much!!!!

Bye!!

Andrea3000,

I think you can do it the way you have layed out with your manual install but I believe that you can simply use the Kalyway disk and partition MBR and install the MBR efi. You then install XP. After the XP install you will have to manually replace the boot code in the MBR and you should be fine (XP will overwrite it with it's MBR code). I don't mean to belittle your time but there is nothing to be lost by simply trying the install the way you've layed it out using the thread you linked to. If you have a problem I sure if I can't help someone else here can.

SMF

Andrea3000,

I think you can do it the way you have layed out with your manual install but I believe that you can simply use the Kalyway disk and partition MBR and install the MBR efi. You then install XP. After the XP install you will have to manually replace the boot code in the MBR and you should be fine (XP will overwrite it with it's MBR code). I don't mean to belittle your time but there is nothing to be lost by simply trying the install the way you've layed it out using the thread you linked to. If you have a problem I sure if I can't help someone else here can.

SMF

Thank you! :hysterical: I'll try the manual install as soon as possible (I've just ordered all the new components of my pc and I haven't got them yet), I'll let you know! :hysterical:

Bye!

I have just tried this, but it didn't work. :wacko:

Here is what I did:

Loaded Kalyway DVD and formatted the drive as MBR with 2 partitions, one HFS+ the other FAT32. I then installed Leopard on the HFS+ partition. For some reason the installed doesn't setup the bootloader for me so I have to use the commands that Andrea3000 said (repeated below). After this it worked fine!

I then installed XP on the FAT32 partition (reformmated to NTFS) and then followed the above instructions to reinstall the Leopard bootloader. Unfortunately XP still boots. Ill try reinstalling Leopard, but I see no reason why it should have been messed up...

Here is what I did to setup the bootloader the first time

1) Boot Kalyway DVD, and umount all partitions of the disc through Diskutility.

2) Open up Terminal, and run the following commands:

cd <location of files>

./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsY ./boot_v8

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY bs=512 count=1

dd if=boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1

I used Pacifist to extract boot1h and boot0 from the MBR installer package on the DVD, a copy of all my files is attached.

mbr.zip

I have just tried this, but it didn't work. :)

Here is what I did:

Loaded Kalyway DVD and formatted the drive as MBR with 2 partitions, one HFS+ the other FAT32. I then installed Leopard on the HFS+ partition. For some reason the installed doesn't setup the bootloader for me so I have to use the commands that Andrea3000 said (repeated below). After this it worked fine!

I then installed XP on the FAT32 partition (reformmated to NTFS) and then followed the above instructions to reinstall the Leopard bootloader. Unfortunately XP still boots. Ill try reinstalling Leopard, but I see no reason why it should have been messed up...

Here is what I did to setup the bootloader the first time

1) Boot Kalyway DVD, and umount all partitions of the disc through Diskutility.

2) Open up Terminal, and run the following commands:

cd <location of files>

./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsY ./boot_v8

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY bs=512 count=1

dd if=boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1

I used Pacifist to extract boot1h and boot0 from the MBR installer package on the DVD, a copy of all my files is attached.

Have you set leopard partition active after xp install? Because XP install process makes the XP partition active

Andrea3000,

You are correct. The problem TheLucster is having is that the XP install makes the FAT partition the active partition. TheLucster needs to make the Leopard partition the active partition.

You can do this through Terminal. Boot from the DVD after the XP install and restore the bootloader in the MBR and then using Fdisk set the Leopard partition as active. FYI this can be done as follows -

fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX where X is your disk - with one drive it should be 0

at the fdisk prompt enter "p" to make sure you have the partition numbers - this will list the partitions

then enter f X at the fdisk prompt where X is the number of your leo partition (if it's the first it should be 1)

then enter w at the fdisk prompt - you may get an "error" that fdisk can't access the disk exclusively and as you if you want to do it. Enter Y for yes and you are done. Close out and reboot and you should see the Darwin bootloader. Hit F* and you'll get a list - XP might show up as "Foreign Boot" in the darwin menu but it will work. If you make no choice you get Leo by default.

Almost there!

SMF

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have the same issue and none of this seem to work yet.

I have xp and leopard on the same hdd. Everithing is working fine but my only problem is booting into so. As i sow in other treats Leopard doe's not install darwin boot loader (i hudge bug i guess) in the installation process and you should first install Tiger for this. But it must be other ways to do that. I tried the chain0 methid but with no success, the acronis method so on. The problem is that everytime i run into leopard, it request the installation dvd in order to boot into. Also the partition is activated so is not about activation the partition anymore. My question is HOW can i install darwin to be my boot loader? Acronis and other boot oriented software including chain0 strategy does not find my OSx partition.

Thank you!

Hi,

I have the same issue and none of this seem to work yet.

I have xp and leopard on the same hdd. Everithing is working fine but my only problem is booting into so. As i sow in other treats Leopard doe's not install darwin boot loader (i hudge bug i guess) in the installation process and you should first install Tiger for this. But it must be other ways to do that. I tried the chain0 methid but with no success, the acronis method so on. The problem is that everytime i run into leopard, it request the installation dvd in order to boot into. Also the partition is activated so is not about activation the partition anymore. My question is HOW can i install darwin to be my boot loader? Acronis and other boot oriented software including chain0 strategy does not find my OSx partition.

Thank you!

Has anybody found a solution yet?

• 4 weeks later...
Andrea3000,

A couple of items - Leopard will install on MBR or GPT. If you have GPT and want to install XP32 bit you need to put xp32 in the 4th partition (this counts the EFI partition as 1). I can't explain it but I've done a lot of testing of XP32 with a hybrid GPT/MBR layout (which diskutility will create if you have at least one partition FAT32). For some reason if you make 3 partitions with GPT (not counting the EFI partition that is created with GPT) and make one HFS+ for OSX and the two FAT32 you can put XP32 on the second FAT32 partition and it will install and run fine. You do however have to make the second FAT32 partition the active partition before you try and install XP32. If try and put XP32 in the first FAT32 partition the install will fail on the first reboot.

SMF

This is remarkable. So your saying if I have the 32bit version of either XP or vista. I can make a complete GPT setup with 4 partitions. 1st being EFI, second being for OSX Leopard, 3rd being a 1mb fat32 partition and the 4th being XP or Vista 32bit and both Leopard and the 32bit Windows will boot?

AMAZING

What if I have another partiton past that that is NTFS for storage? Or can I turn both of the fat32 partitons into NTFS?

This goes against what I_am me says in his guide. He says this is not possible. I am going to see if this really works.

• 3 months later...

Did anybody get this working?

I would like to try to install Leopard with retail DVD, but when I boot the dvd and want to select partition for instalation, it says that it has to be a GUID/GPT. I currently have Leopard (Kalyway) and XP running on MBR and I dont want to have to reinstall my XP. Is there any way how to get around installing retail Leopard on MBR without destroying everything?

Thanks a lot!