Leopard install on Penryn laptop (Sager) problem

S.SubZero

3 posts in this topic

Tried installing iATKOS several times on this new laptop yesterday:

http://www.pctorque.com/sager-5792-gaming-computers.php

Mine has a Penryn 2.5Ghz processor.

First off, iATKOS 1.0 DVD won't even boot, it just "you must restart"s a few seconds into the boot.

iATKOS 1.0 R2 DVD does boot. I can set my customizations (been trying EFI bootloader, stock kernel, no other options) and it will copy files and be all happy. I reboot.. of course I get the infamous blinking cursor, and yes I did try flagging the boot partition and it doesn't work, it *never* works. I don't care about that right now, so I boot with the DVD in and just let it time out. The screen goes white, then immediately reboots.

I saw a couple of other posts mentioning this, and I am curious what might be causing it. Might it be the Penryn? I don't know how fussy OS X is on processors that go beyond what it knows.

Set the following BIOS options:

Enable Limit CPUID Max. To 3

Enable EIST

Enable Enhanced Halt State (C1E)

Enable Execute Disable Bit

Set ACPI to 2.0 and enable HPET

These features may be named differently in your computer, but not completely different.

I find EIST irritating (specifically in professional audio applications), so I turned it off and nothing bad happened, so I'm guessing it's only required for the DVD to boot.

Unfortunately this laptop has one vital flaw, and that's the BIOS is very, very sparse. There's no CPUID thing, no EIST thing, no Halt State thing, no ACPI thing, and no Execute Disable Bit thing.

It does appear NoExecute is on (as XP64 seems to know about it) but otherwise I'm sort of in the dark as to what's on or off.