Booting into OS X Leopard

Wayfarer247

8 posts in this topic

Arlight friends, this is it. This last step. I have sucessfully gotten OS X on my computer. I went through the entire installation, and it gave me the green check mark, and told me to reboot. However, on my comptuer, I also have Ubuntu Linux and Vista. At the moment, Vista is all alone on one hard drive, and everything else is on another (250 GB). So, I desperetaly need a way to boot into OS X. At the moment, I have grub as my boot loader. So, could someone lead me through the steps of how to find out where my OS X partition is, the (hd(x),(y))? And how to make sure grub can boot into OS X? I am soooo close, I am estatic!! Can grub boot into OS X? Do I need something else?

Thanks!!

Arlight friends, this is it. This last step. I have sucessfully gotten OS X on my computer. I went through the entire installation, and it gave me the green check mark, and told me to reboot. However, on my comptuer, I also have Ubuntu Linux and Vista. At the moment, Vista is all alone on one hard drive, and everything else is on another (250 GB). So, I desperetaly need a way to boot into OS X. At the moment, I have grub as my boot loader. So, could someone lead me through the steps of how to find out where my OS X partition is, the (hd(x),(y))? And how to make sure grub can boot into OS X? I am soooo close, I am estatic!! Can grub boot into OS X? Do I need something else?

Thanks!!

Using fdisk -l as root will tell you the partition that OSX is on it will marked type af. Did you install the efi boot loader to the partition that OSX went onto? If so then just make an entry in your menu.list similar to your windows one using the chainload command then it will go to the partition containing OSX using its efi bootloader then this will boot OSX for you. BTW I am not sure if you can install the efi into the partition or not like you can with grub and lilo so you will have to check if this is possible. Alternatively you may want to search here on vista/OSX dual boot there is a method that can use the windows boot loader to load the OSX on the second hard drive you may be able to adapt to your situation.

I will, however, I am still having one last issue, getting passed the keyboard and file transfer steps. I don't count my installation as complete yet.... so once I get that done, then I will post the steps I took. If you know how to get passed the keyboard and file transfer step then let us know!

I will, however, I am still having one last issue, getting passed the keyboard and file transfer steps. I don't count my installation as complete yet.... so once I get that done, then I will post the steps I took. If you know how to get passed the keyboard and file transfer step then let us know!
Not quite sure what you mean can you give more details as to what is happening?
macuser2525, could u maybe explain how to get it working in more simple steps? i didnt understand alot of wut u said. thanks. could u maybe pm me so we dont jam up this forum? thanks very much in advance. :)
Probably going to need more details from you as to what your setup is you know how things are partitioned, which OS's are involved, what is the boot loader being used things like that the more details the easier it is to try and figure out.