Can't get to bootloader

Viscaria

3 posts in this topic

I have no problem booting Tiger or Leopard from the install DVDs and installing, but I can't get anything to load from the hard drive. I first tried installing PC_EFI v8.0 manually and I rebooted to see if it worked (should see com.apple.boot.plist not found error if boot loader works), but I tried installing the OS anyway (both from iATKOS and form a retail DVD imaged on an external drive while booted into the iATKOS DVD) and, as expected, the computer still hangs with just a blinking cursor and no progress. I have tried with AHCI on and off. I will try kalyway next if that is the only solution, but I already have these two DVD's and I need this booting tonight. I would really appriciate any help.

Here is my system configuration:

GA-P35-DS3L

4GB 800MHz DDR2 (2x2GB)

E8400 Core 2 Duo

Seagate 7200.10 SATA 750GB

Linux and Windows work fine, and as I said Tiger and Leopard boot off the DVD drive fine, so I don' think there is anything wrong with the hardware.

Well you wont be able to boot off a retail dvd unless it's been patched. If you manually install pc_efi v8 and then install iAtkos you should be fine. Kalyway is maybe the easiest way to go. It installs the bootloader for you. You can also use the iAtkos install dvd and install the bootloader for the menu just before you choose your install destination. Go to utilities menu and choose darwin boot and follow the instructions.

Chevy

I know I can't boot a retail DVD, I booted the iATKOS and installed from a retail DVD. I installed PC_EFI both manually (in terminal, booted from iATKOS DVD) and with bootloader install script that is part of the iATKOS DVD. In each case it didn't work. I read that iATKOS doesn't like GUID, so I tried MBR as well and that got me the same result: the bootloader won't load.

Edit: I think I may be getting somewhere. The directions I used to install PC_EFI said to use rdiskXsY rather than diskXsY for the first two commands. I tried switched to disk and now the bootloader loads. I'm installing the OS now. I still have no idea why the iATKOS script didn't work, but I suppose it doesn't really matter.

From the PC_EFI directory:
./startupfiletool /dev/disk0s2 ./boot_v8
dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2 bs=512 count=1
dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/disk0 bs=400 count=1

Edit 2:

Installed from the retail disk, removed the mkext, added, dsmos and it works. Woot.