stuck repeating "first boot" setup repeatedly

bryandc

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

So as the subject line says:  I've got 10.5.1 partly installed, I boot up, watch the cool fly-through-space sequence, detect keyboard, choose language, then it asks if I already own a Mac.  I say I don't want to bring over any data at this time and click Continue.  It sits there for a little while... and then, without rebooting or anything, I'm flying through space again... and it's asking me to detect my keyboard all over again.

Haven't been able to search up anything related, but if there's already a thread about this I'd appreciate a pointer.

Is there some way to see some logs of what's going on, if I boot to a single user shell?

I've done verify and repair and repair perms on the disk (no problems found).

Ideally, I'd like to get through the first boot config properly, but failing that, can I manually create the first user account and convince loginwindow not to go into first-boot mode somehow?

Let me know if I can provide any details about my setup to help you help me :)

This is a Dell Vostro 400, Core Duo 2 (E6550).  I chose not to install any driver for the video card (until I have the system booting), nvidia geforce 8600 GT.

I had this problem with iATKOS this morning, also left the video drivers out because there is a better installer for the 8600. What I did was power it down after the video came up the second time (actually 3rd or 4th but who's counting). After that it booted and finished the account setup and it worked fine.

Well, I did -x "Graphics Mode"="640x480x32" at the boot prompt so that when I booted OSX told me "The Setup Assistant cannot be run with this monitor. Use System Preferences to set up your computer". It created a default account named Administrator, and booted in to Leopard. (yay!).

Immediately rebooted to a resolution that doesn't make my eyes bleed, and I'm good to go.

I'm off to toy with my new OS :|