Help, I'm really desperate here :(

Finest

5 posts in this topic

I'm really desperate, I'm trying to install leo on my gateway GM5420. It came with vista premium but I really have no use for it.

Board: Intel Corporation DG965OT AAD75595-200

2022 Megabytes Installed Memory

TAPI DVD W DH16W1P ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

1.87 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo

64 kilobyte primary memory cache

2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache

:)

Thats what I get using belarc... I have tried kalyway and pretty much all the rest... I have burned 12 dvds and it always gets frozen on the apple screen

or wont even boot.

I will really like to return it and buy a mac but I only had 30 days and the guys at frys wouldn't do it. If i sell it I wont even get half of what I paid for. $1200 :)

Thanks any help is much appreciated. My yahoo IM oscar.robles my MSN oscar.robles@comcast.net I'll be on 24/7

Try pressing F8 right before the machine starts booting and then enter -v at the darwin boot manager. You will see a bunch of error messages. If you can, take a picture of the screen and post it here.

Did you go through the tutorial pages of this site and have you read the hardware compatibility lists in the wiki?

hecker

• 1 month later...

I'm really desperate, I'm trying to install leo on my gateway GM5420. It came with vista premium but I really have no use for it.

Board: Intel Corporation DG965OT AAD75595-200

2022 Megabytes Installed Memory

TAPI DVD W DH16W1P ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

1.87 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo

64 kilobyte primary memory cache

2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I have gateway GM5420 also. Intel G965 chipset

And run 10.5.2 with EFI vanilla kernel and sound card video card GFX string on it without problem.

First, I have install another graphic card (ATI AIW x1900) with it, because the intel x3000 seems not supported by 10.5.

Second, I have an external USB DVD RW, because the internal IDE dvd is not working when I try to install.

(SATA DVD maybe worked, not test yet)

Third, I have bought an D-link DWA-552 for wifi network.

(I use usb keyboard and usb mouse so i have no test is PS2 one working or not)

After prepared these things you have to enter the bios (press del when enter) and set the SATA device to ACHI mode (option in Driver configration?),

and in boot option set usb first order than internal and the CDROM 1st.

Then you can put the DVD to external DVD for install. (I use kalyway)

After into the installation option use disk utility make the Hard driver (HD) in MBA partition type and format them to Mac OS journal format.

I separate my HD for 3 partition (100GB each )

Note: GUID partition is not working for HD booting. I have tried it so many times , couldn't boot in without DVD inside DVD player, Don't waste Time

Then install to the 1st partition and in installation customer option, select vanilla kernel and MBR boot and your graphic card if in list(For me ATIx1000 ATIinject).

Sound card will install later.

After successful installation you can boot into the 10.5.1.

The d-link DWA-552 was recognized as AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x3A6D),

So I can work with network supported.

But no sound at this moment, GM9420's sound card is SigmaTel STAC9271D,

(but in linux dump file it's SigmaTel STAC9271X)

Then go AppleHDA soultion download AppleHDAPatcher_v1.16.zip thanks Taruga

And with attached file dump.txt. (drag and drop the txt file to the AppleHDAPatcher icon) You can let Sound card working.

So just try it and good luck to you.

dump.txt

My friend had the same issue, has the same Gateway computer. What we found was that reflashing the bios to one provided by Intel fixes a lot of things (there is a jumper on motherboard that needs to be set/taken out). In BIOS settings set HD controller to AHCI mode. The install method I used was to rip Leo onto a mac, run the Brazil patches (if I remember correctly). Before I ran the patch utility I edited AHCI & ATA .kext files and populated my PATA id in ATA.kext & SATA id in AHCI.kext under ich8 section. Once patch is ran these definitions will be put onto the .iso image which is then burned onto a DVD for installation.I got the same motherboard and both IDE & SATA work, sound needs a patch, on-board networking does not work - I am using an older PCI card for etherenet.I have not checked recently for updates, thhings might have changed.Found the post on how I got Leo installed...Bought Leopard. Used brazil patch method of installation. Before you apply prepatch edit AppleVIAATA & AppleAHCI in files/ext patch directory and put 610111ab & 80862821 respectively. Install DVD recognized all drives (IDE & SATA), no support for built in network, AppleHDA patcher needed for on board sound. Everything else just works .Issue not related to this motherboard that might help:I had trouble (and still do ^_^ ) getting Leo to boot of disk. As a workaround what I found is that booting of the install DVD & letting it time out at the boot prompt (do not hit any keys) will actually boot of the hard drive. I think I just need to get the boot loader installed on the HD, have not figured out that part yet.Hope this helps.

As a workaround what I found is that booting of the install DVD & letting it time out at the boot prompt (do not hit any keys) will actually boot of the hard drive. I think I just need to get the boot loader installed on the HD, have not figured out that part yet.Hope this helps.

What kind of HD partition type you set?

I have two 10.5.2 system in one of my HD,

With MBA partition, It can boot into system without any DVD.

So I can use F8 into the darwin bootloader menu,

to select the booting system.

But with GUID partition,

I need put the dvd in dvd player and use time out trick for booting.

And the problem is the DVD time out trick don't have darwin bootloader menu for me to select the booting system.

So I will suggestion to install the system in HD partition in MBA type.

I don't try to flash my bios, because my computer come with a Windows Vista sticker,

and i still need the message in bios to install the OEM version Vista.

Right now, there is two HD in my computer,

1st HD has three partions, vista , xp , and 3rd if partition for 10.5.2 Time mechine

2nd HD also has three partitions, 10.5.2 (EFI+vanilla), 10.5.2(EFI+ToH), and 3rd partition is for storage space

With them I can easily switch the system by change bios booting sequence setting.

Hope these information are helpful. :P