ATI Xpress 200 chipset Leopard or Tiger Install

MMoyer2655

18 posts in this topic

I have an HP pavillion zv6000 I would like to install tiger or leopard(preferably) on. It is an AMD Athalon 64 3200, 2Ghz, 2GB RAM, SSE2,x86-64. After about 15 hours of consistent research I cannot find anybody that has had luck with the ATI Xpress200 chipset I have.

I have both JaS 10.4.8 AMD, and ToH 10.5.1 AMD burned to DVD.

Both load and begin to boot but gets hung up on either...

"Still waiting for root device" or "AppleGenericPCATADriver: CMD 0x1f0, CTR 0x3f4, IRQ 14" or "Mouse and Keyboard Timed Out."

Is there anyone out there that can help me?

I have already tried...Reformatting partition to FAT32, making partition active, setting up partition as both primary and logistic.

Thanks in advance for any help!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

If the question about the ATI express 200 is still valid to anyone, I have an answer that took me days to figure out--and it is just too simple to believe. If you have Kalyway install disk for 10.5.2 chose speedstepkernel and make sure that you have set your partion up for journaled osx in the disk utility. When you get the 'X' installer screen, click on the link that lets you edit the installation drivers. At the video drivers check box, un-check them all--meaning nothing selected. Guarantee that you will have perfect video when you finish your installation and reboot.

First of all, my apologies for not including my machine info--I can see why it is so important.

I have been on this quest night and day just because of the very

issues you are asking about. Final Cut Pro (Studio). Right?

I need this program to run on this machine so badly, that I have neglected sleep for

about a week.

Having said that, I have not been able to get my sound working on my

Hp Pavilion zv6015 which has an AMD processor and a conexant AC-link on board audio. Everything about Kalyway 10.5.2 seems to be working flawlessly (except for audiio and my multi-card reader) and were it not for the audio problem, I might be inclined to forsake the windows platform altogether-- even my 802g wireless, and my Realtek Ethernet are working.

I also have been able to install Final Cut Studio 5 on my machine with Kalyway 10.5.2 , however it crashes as soon as it starts looking for the sound card (I think). I am not completely sure if that this is the reason it is crashing, but Quicktime is doing the same thing when I try to play a video file.

My machine does not have a quartz extreme graphics card, and I am not sure if core image is going to also be another issue for me to tackle when I try to run motion (if I get that far).

Your question has certainly given me something extra to think about. I just do not know

enough about the peculiarities of Final Cut Studio to give any adequate answers. I am new to Final Cut Pro, and I did not realized how sensitive it is to the machine hardware and parameters, notwithstanding that audio that does not work is problematic to everything, and could very well be the only issue that Final Cut Pro is having with my machine. On my windows partition I can run everything from Avid Media Composer to Sony Vegas with no problems.

I have posted a request about my sound issue for which no one has replied. I obviously have the conexant audio driver in the windows platform, but I do not know how to get it compiled, or translated into OSX. I have tried the Azalia patch and Taruga's patch, used the terminal to modify the Azalia extension--and nothing has worked.

I have been thinking about giving Zephyroth's 10.5.2 version a try, hoping that maybe becuse it is geared for AMD's that the driver extensions for my sound chip are present and working.

If you get any answers before I do, I would really appreciate a heads-up on them.

thanks,

Rhel

Hp Pavilion ZV6015

AMD 3500+

Ati Radion Xpress 200 video

Broadcom wireless

Realtek 8169 Ethernet

Firewire and USB 2.0

Conexant AC-Link audio

5 in one card reader

My system has an IDE drive interface with an ATA 100 hard drive. However, when I run my system profiler, it shows no ATA device present, and the hard drive shows up connected under the SATA driver. It works fine and I have no complaints about my drive, although the Kext drivers limit my system bus speed to 100 according to profiler.

My machine is capable of a 200 Mhz system bus. When I used some of the other chip sets in the installer, my system profiler shows my 200 Mhz system bus, but my machine is extremely slow and I get the wheel constantly. I have finally settled upon the VIA ATA and SiliconImage chip sets.

I can live with a 100 Mhz system bus because my processor is running at 2.2 gigs, and with 2 gigs of ram, it seems to perform well.

I still have not conquered the QE/CI issue, because the only way I will know whether or not that is no longer a problem, is when I get Final Cut Pro working.

Also, a note to anyone who has a machine similar to mine, do not install the Mysticus 10.5.3 update, because you will be forced into doing a fresh installation of 10.5.2 afterward, unless you just want to try it for yourself--but you were warned. It crashes my machine just as soon as it ID's my firewire bus, and neither booting with out system drivers, nor booting with other kernels helps. I saw the same screen shot for someone who had done an update with the IOPCCARDFAMILY .Kext update by Chun-Nam. So, I am back to 10.5.2

I applaud all of the people who have offered fixes and patches for leopard 10.5.2 ! With out them, I certainly would not be able to run OSX 10.5.2 at all.

Rhel

Hp Pavilion ZV6015

AMD 3500+

ATA 100 7200 rpm 100 gig hard drive

2 gigs of ram.

Broadcom wireless

Realtek 8139 Ethernet

Firewire 400 and USB 2.0

Conexant AC-Link audio

5 in one card reader

My system has an IDE drive interface with an ATA 100 hard drive. However, when I run my system profiler, it shows no ATA device present, and the hard drive shows up connected under the SATA driver. It works fine and I have no complaints about my drive, although the Kext drivers limit my system bus speed to 100 according to profiler.

My machine is capable of a 200 Mhz system bus. When I used some of the other chip sets in the installer, my system profiler shows my 200 Mhz system bus, but my machine is extremely slow and I get the wheel constantly. I have finally settled upon the VIA ATA and SiliconImage chip sets.

I can live with a 100 Mhz system bus because my processor is running at 2.2 gigs, and with 2 gigs of ram, it seems to perform well.

I still have not conquered the QE/CI issue, because the only way I will know whether or not that is no longer a problem, is when I get Final Cut Pro working.

Also, a note to anyone who has a machine similar to mine, do not install the Mysticus 10.5.3 update, because you will be forced into doing a fresh installation of 10.5.2 afterward, unless you just want to try it for yourself--but you were warned. It crashes my machine just as soon as it ID's my firewire bus, and neither booting with out system drivers, nor booting with other kernels helps. I saw the same screen shot for someone who had done an update with the IOPCCARDFAMILY .kext update by Chun-Nam. So, I am back to 10.5.2

I applaud all of the people who have offered fixes and patches for leopard 10.5.2 ! With out them, I certainly would not be able to run OSX 10.5.2 at all.

Rhel

Hp Pavilion ZV6015

AMD 3500+

ATA 100 7200 rpm 100 gig hard drive

2 gigs of ram.

Broadcom wireless

Realtek 8139 Ethernet

Firewire 400 and USB 2.0

Conexant AC-Link audio

5 in one card reader

After getting back up in 10.5.2 , I've discovered that I was overlooking the QE/CI parameters in my system profiler. CI is marked as "software" and QE is "not supported."

Apologies to anyone who might have gone to alot of extra work because of my post hoping to get their ATI 200 working with QE/CI support.

I am still unclear about what (besides getting Final Cut Studio working) QE/CI is supposed to give you. Maybe this issue is the whole reason why I cannot play a dvd or open up a video file?

Rhel

• 5 weeks later...

i tried both Kalyway 10.5.2 Intel_Amd disc and iATKOS 4.0i (10.5.4)

both boots the DVD and loads the click to proceed section (lang selection)

the problem is that my k/b amd mous are not working in the screen (both PS/2)

i have Xpress 200 chipset Intel D102GGC2 m/b with P4 531( supports SSE3,EM64T) & SATA HDD

how to make the PS/2 keyboard and mouse to work ???? (even tried disabling USB as it was buggy)

After getting back up in 10.5.2 , I've discovered that I was overlooking the QE/CI parameters in my system profiler. CI is marked as "software" and QE is "not supported."

Apologies to anyone who might have gone to alot of extra work because of my post hoping to get their ATI 200 working with QE/CI support.

I am still unclear about what (besides getting Final Cut Studio working) QE/CI is supposed to give you. Maybe this issue is the whole reason why I cannot play a dvd or open up a video file?

:D Without QE/CI most of the basic software will run - many other things will not. Most add-on software for OSX will require QE/CI (at least all the really cool stuff generally requires full QE/CI support...).

You may have some success getting to the OSX Desktop, but with a Radeon Xpress 200 chipset (and most other IGP's), you'll never get past the basic software set. They've been trying to get the x200 (200M) working for a year or more. Doesn't look like it'll happen.