Inspiron 1420 Install And Drivers

sese

17 posts in this topic

Well I feel like I have used the work of others to make my install close to perfect but haven't given anything back so this is my first step to give back. This is the complete guide to installing OS X leopard 10.5.1 on the inspiron 1420.

Distro

I have decided through many problems with other distro's that iAtkos r2 is the best choice for leopard for the inspiron 1420.

Boot Options

For me I didn’t have to enter anything but I have heard that if your having problems that the cpus=1 can help.

Install Options

This usually depends on your hardware but even the most default 1420 can handle pc efi and the stock kernel and ACPIPlatform. Don’t select any graphics drivers because iAtkos doesn’t support the 8400 out of the box but if you have the Intel 3100 integrated then select that option. Anything else that is hardware specific to your custom 1420, select.

After Install Drivers

Graphics for 8400- Use Punk92’s latest installer you can find the installer in this topic http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=78980. If you really want to use efi device properties to avoid nvinject use the installer to install the 10.5.2 kexts only then replace the com.apple.Boot.plist with the one from this topic http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=81294. If the 3100 owners are still having problems there is a topic to help you http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=71784.

Wireless

If you have a Broadcom card it should work native if not visit this topic http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=51725. Intel cards aren’t supported 100% but there is a topic dedicated to it http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=36976.

Webcam and Bluetooth

Should work native 100%.

Touchpad

The most I have gotten to work is tap clicking by manually refreshing the ps2 kexts.

Audio

A temporary solution for audio problems is to head over to this topic http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=32859 download the 1.16 patcher and download the attached codec dump and drop the codec onto the audio patcher for sound out of the first headphone port.

Cardbus

Visit the topic here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=81036.

Everything else should work native. The only problems that I have are rebooting sleeping and shutting down but this is due to the 10.5.2 graphics kexts.

1420d9228.txt

Hi!

Thanks for providing those infos. I'm kind of new to all this stuff, but I've got about exactly the same hardware than you and I can't get past the "blinking cursor" problem. Could you detail exactly what options you checked in the Customize panel of the install? Otherwise, my problem could be from my partitions. I'm doing a single boot system so it should be rather simple... I'm using the Disk util from install DVD, creating only 1 partition Extended in MBR, as I've seen recommended on the net. Did you use something else instead? Thanks again!

Benji101

Yep, that would be simplier for you than writing it all down. :D

You didn't do anything on terminal before the first boot? did you?

I've tried choosing different options in Customize, but it always end up with a blinking cursor while trying to boot...

Hi again,

I'd like to know a few other things if you don't mind... (I only installed osx and latest punk92 release)

First, osx hanged two times since I'm using it, the mouse was still moving, but I couldn't do anything (sometimes the colored circle animation was going,,,) Did it happened to you? is there a log I can check?

second, is there a way to make the screen turn off on lid close?

third, how can I be sure my graphic card is 100% working? I've checked in system info and it says that it supports QE IC, is that enough? I'll test video playback soon...

Thanks for helping me!

Benji101

Finally, I tried to plug my external display and clicked "detect display", my screen turned black and now I can't see anything, tried reboot, and all... I guess I'll stop there for today...

Firstly yes os x has frozen on me before but it is probably bugs with the program you were using

secondly no not at the moment it will probably work when the big 10.5.2 comes out

thirdly yes as long as it says qe qi supported you will be able to use all the latest apps

and i didnt realize this till after i made this but macgirl has a huge topic setup for dell laptops you can visit it here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=83039

Hi!

I see on Macgirl thread that she says wired ethernet can't work but your signature says otherwise... Could you please tell me how you did it? It would be much simpler for me to access info directly from osx than restarting in vista each time :thumbsdown_anim: I've read some thread about it but seems development of drivers for this nic is hard...

Benji101

Yes, I would be really interesting in finding out how to get the ethernet working too. I used your guide to install OS X on my 1420 and it works great, except for a few problems.

My 8400m GS seems to work slower than in Windows. I only get about 15 FPS on the iTunes Visualizer in OS X whereas I got a lot more on Windows.

Oh, and there's one more thing. Everytime I mute the sound or restart (or something) the sound stops working! I have to re-apply the kexts to get it working again. :help: Any ideas on that?

Thanks in advance, RahamanPatrick.

What do you mean kernel updates? If you mean did I select any of the patches, then no. I used the plain old vanilla kernel that is used on real Macs. (At least as far as I know).

I did select something about EFI and about ACPI though. My battery meter doesn't work though and I can't get it to without modified the kernel.

Hi!

I see on Macgirl thread that she says wired ethernet can't work but your signature says otherwise... Could you please tell me how you did it? It would be much simpler for me to access info directly from osx than restarting in vista each time :) I've read some thread about it but seems development of drivers for this nic is hard...

Benji101

Because the Ethernet on the XPS are Broadcom 59xx and on Inspirons (for what I see) are 57xx.

RahamanPatrick: Ok, you selected the same options than me then, cool. In your description, for audio you link to guide but it's only a file... I tried to install those kext but I've got no sound, even if internal speakers and headphones now appear in my sound options... Have I missed a step?

Macgirl: ho! thanks for bringing this to my attention... And it's funny to see that you watch when we're talking about you ;)

Benji

• 2 years later...

hi my name is joseph. I really need help with the install prosess of the mac osx how do I get started with the install?. I already have the mac osx one and two install disk. can you help me please? thanks joseph

hi my name is joseph. I really need help with the install prosess of the mac osx how do I get started with the install?. I already have the mac osx one and two install disk. can you help me please? thanks joseph

I again. what is the first step to to install the mac osx on my inspiron 1420? what kind of driver do I need? what do I need to change in the bios setup? for the disc to read in my dvd/ cd rom it will not read the mac osx install disk. the cd rom showes no cd in the rom drive. can someone please help?

• 2 months later...

You can install Snow leopard on

inspiron 1420!!!!!!!!!!

Just download Snow leopard by Hazard(search on Thepiratesbay.org)

and burn it.

Boot with: -v cpus=2

Install everything you need then after finishing installation

boot with cpus=2 -v -x

thats all

and you can have 10.6.1 or 10.6.2

You can install Snow leopard on

inspiron 1420!!!!!!!!!!

Just download Snow leopard by Hazard(search on Thepiratesbay.org)

and burn it.

Boot with: -v cpus=2

Install everything you need then after finishing installation

boot with cpus=2 -v -x

thats all

and you can have 10.6.1 or 10.6.2

Hi there,

My 1420 got following spec:

Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 (1.5GHz/667Mhz) /ID 06FD/

1GB Share Dual Channel DDR2@667MHz (2 dimms)

Video: Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset

Audio: Sigmatel

Wireless: Intel Pro 3945 ABG

LAN: Broadcom Netlink Fast Ethernet

Modem: Conexant HDA D330 MDC

I was trying to install hazard distro on it several times, but always frozen and never got to installation welcome screen.

Congrats for you. Mind to share your inspiron 1420 spec or even some of screenshots? And where to find all (LAN, WIFI, VGA, SOUND) kexts? Thks.

Regards,

Andy