Still Waiting For Root Device 10.4.8 JAS

lateralusman

13 posts in this topic

I'm getting the Still Waiting For Root Drive message when trying to install the v10.4.8 JAS AMD Intel SSE2 SSE3 incl. PPF1.

EDIT: REMOVED screenshot see Post #5

My specs as follows:

AMD ATHLON X2 6000+

Foxconn C51XEM2AA-8EKRS2H

Patriot 2x1GB PC6400 DDR2-800

Ati Connect3D Radeon X1900GT

Creative Audigy 2ZS Pro

Light-On 18X DVD Burner SATA

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250GB SATA 16MB

Seagate Barracuda 80GB ATA/100 8MB

I've read that 10.4.8 JAS is a good place to start for noobs...so we'll see.

Been trying to get this working for three days and I've spent hours on this forum...

Any help would be appreciated!

That is actually very strange because i get that message however eventually it moves on and my device reacts... a good idea might be to check your settings that VMware isn't blocking out the drive by chance... It might also be a good idea to get Mac OS X JaS 10.4.8 with PPF2 as well.. Good Luck

How could VMWare be blocking the drive if Windows isn't even booted up?

Maybe I should clarify that I'm trying to boot from the ISO not trying to install via VMWare. I've already installed JaS 10.4.8 on VMWare and it installed okay

"IOUSBFamily is having trouble enumerating a USB device...etc" seems to me that its having issues with your external USB DVD drive. I assume you are using an external DVD Drive?

Perhaps trying another version such as 10.4.9 (Uphuck 1.3) will give you more luck.

If you can get your hands on another DVD drive, that would be a good idea to test with too!

I have a ASUS board here with a ATI/AMD chipset that behaves in the same way. What is going on is the installer looses the IDE controller. As to why, I don't have a clue, maybe a conflict with another device/driver, maybe simply plain incompatable chipset. While "fooling" with mine I discovered that it will boot a "vanilla" pre-install I had on a hardrive, so my solution is going to be a "specific" install on another computer, and swapping the drive over after install, but before final boot.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help, maybe digging around on the main page with your specific chipset/install version will be of some benefit, maybe searching the forum for NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP installs will help.

Update: I've downloaded and tried the upchuck 10.4.9 Universal Dvd v1.3 iso as per happycar's suggestion and I still get the same Still Waiting For Root Device. (See attachment)

I've enclosed some screenshots of my Bios settings too.

The only time I've ever gotten "Still waiting on root device" was when I had an IDE dvd rom that was not set to master drive. I had to set the hard drive to primary master, and the dvd to secondary master. I see you have both SATA drives and IDE devices in the system. I would suggest trying an IDE DVD drive, instead of a SATA drive. Also, try the tubgirl 10.4.10 or the Zephyroth 10.5.1 release. Both of thoes seem to be a bit newer than what you are using, and will probally support a wider range of hardware.

I fixed the same prob on my computer!

Because OSX86 is always a complicated issue, I'll explain it with details.

I have to hard disks. One is SATA 160G, the other is IDE 6G. And my Windows is on the SATA one

I set the IDE disk a slave. So my system would automatically boot into Windows

Then I installed JaS 10.4.8 on the IDE disk by vmware.

I could boot in the system in vmware, but I got your prob when I restarted and booted into my IDE disk.

I thought the prob is caused by vmware. In vmware my IDE disk is a master disk, without the SATA one.

But when I rebooted the IDE disk was actually a slave, so Darwin couldn't find the master IDE disk......So it kept saying "Still waiting for root device"

Then I just set my IDE as a master disk by jumper, I got the guide of jumper on the surface of the disk.

Then I booted into Mac OS~~~but It's even slower than the one in my vmware....I think JaS 10.4.8 doesn't contain a good IDE driver.

I'm trying to install JaS 10.4.8 onto my SATA disk now ~~~ It's harder but I'll try my best~~~

Good luck to all you guys~~~nothing is impossible~~~