price and performance chart, same for osx?

8 posts in this topic

http://www.yougamers.com/hardware/stats/3d...andperformance/

I want to run osx super smooth and be able to do directx 10 for vmware fusion (assuming dx10 would help while in vmware?), I am considering 8600gt w/ 256mb gddr3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814150265

or would this be better? 7600gt w/ 256mb gddr3 (high cost after rebate[if rebate shows up for 8600gt], no dx10 support.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130062

I have already got a bad axe2 and 4gb ddr2 800

will order q6600 asap along with gpu.

any opinions would be great!

You won't need DX10 at all, people get video cards like the 8800 or hd38 series for performance. But the 8600 best bang for your buck? Wow, so not true. But if your limit is I'm guessing $100 max, go for the 8600. If you can go up to atleast $170, the HD2900 PRO is $159. ATI is trying to phase out the HD29xx series, so personally I feel that's the best bang for your buck card.

good to know, you'll have to forgive me, all I have read is I need at least 8xxx series to run dx10.... but this wont matter at all for running xp thru vmware?

so 8600gt is better in every way than 7600gt? what about over clocking? any experiences doing an OC thru osx? are any of these getting phased out soon?

as far as $$$ limit, I would rather get something low cost now that could run osx and some games, then upgrade down the road as costs come down. yes, sub $100 for sure.

Overclocking a video card personally isn't really worth it. Unless you've got a different fan for it made for overclocking. But no, XP doesn't use or have DX10 at all, so it's not needed. But why don't you dual boot XP and osx86? You'd get better performance out of running XP natively.

For $100 though, the 8600 is fine, unless you can find either of the x19xx or 79xx series for that price.

7900GS (what I have) I'm pretty sure is better than the 8600. I picked it up for about $130.
This is true. But if you only want OS X to be super smooth, and don't wanna play any games, the 7600gt is ideal (even the 7600gs). It is cheap and installs easily too.

Yes thats true, and plus the 7600GT is available with passive cooling so no fans, no noise :unsure: I was originally going to get the 7600GT, but the company didn't have the model in stock so I just went along with the 7900GS, and what can I say, its excellent. Plays any of todays games great and no stuttering or anything.

P.S. Also these 7xxx series cards are great overclockers from what I hear, even with stock cooling.

Yeah, the 7 series is great on overclocking. I've got a htpc with a 7300GT in it, and I overclocked it a bit because it was struggling a wee-bit, it was great. Didn't need to make the fan run any faster, didn't need to mod or anything.