Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
victornguyen

how to open files .zip.001

10 posts in this topic

Advertisement

If the file says dmg.zip.001, the ".001" part designates the file as part of a set. You can't open the file individually, because you need the rest of the files to complete the archive set. Once you have all the files in the same directory, just extract one of them and the rest will automatically be joined during the extraction. To extract files in Windows I prefer WinRAR (rarlabs.com) but for OSX, I suggest Stuffit Expander (http://my.smithmicro.com/mac/stuffit.html).

For Mac users, I agree with Stuffit; still, there are other 2 apps also very powerful:

1. 7zX

2. BetterZip

Cheers,

right so if i was to open lets says dogeatscat.dmg.zip.001 & dogeatscat.dmg.zip.002,

could i just rename them into dogeatscat.dmg1.zip & dogeatscat.dmg2.zip and use winrar to open them in windows?

Francis

basically all the *.001 is, is a rar file broken down into pieces(split rar) there's usually a *.rar file, on macs it shows up at the bottom of the list, because its alphabetical order, theres sometimes 50 files separated into certain size archives ... all you need is UnRar ( i think its UnRarX now) its free, fast, and easy to use. I think you might be able to find in the apple download section of the apple website. Just open the Rar file and from there it will automaticcally extract the other *.00# files.