Macbook Pro battery issues

9 posts in this topic

coconutbatteryscreensnapm2.jpg

This is a screenshot from coconut battery, and as you can see, the current capacity is nowhere even remotely close to the original capacity. I guess I have a fairly simple question: Is there a way to correct this, or is a new battery at Apples 'awesome' price in my future?

• 1 month later...

Now that I'm about to order a 120 dollar battery to replace this one, I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to try and....well...nothing. =]

*Cue angry responses about how I shouldnt be bitching about not getting a response to such a 'dumb' question*

I didn't see this thread until today. I wouldn't have had any good news for you anyway, there's not a lot (if anything) you can really do.

Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...on_battery_life for some interesting info about Li-ion batteries, particularly the storage temperature and charge and capacity loss.

Also, if you scroll up to the "Disadvantages" section, you'll see it mentions that the batteries degrade from the time of manufacture.

I think replacing a battery after 21 months isnt a bad deal.

So you shouldnt be bitching about not getting a response to such a 'dumb' question. (joking)

Batteries are generally supposed to last 3-4 years and even then, their charge is nowhere near 12% of the optimum after those 3 or 4 years.

EDIT: Even apple says that a notebook is supposed to have 80% of its maximum charge capacity after 300 full cycles. For more info look here:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

EDIT 2: I just asked a friend to check out his battery life on his 2 year old MBP Core Duo T2500 (2GHz, 2gb ram upgraded, x1600 256) and his health was at 86%. ofcourse he has only put the system through 7 full load cycles but his battery is just slightly more than 21 months old so I thought it would be relevant. It's worth noting that Apple says you should attempt to discharge the battery fully each month and then recharge it. Apple also recommends that you dont keep the system plugged in the whole time either.

Did you do real-world tests to see if Coconut Battery was accurate? I ask because it says that your battery is charging without being connected to a charger, and that you only have 5 charge cycles, so it seems both of those are wrong already. How long was your battery normally lasting on a charge?

Yes, I did wonder (just didn't want to double-post) - care to enlighten us as to how you manage to charge the battery without connecting the charger? Or is it a trade secret? :P

Think about this - if you got 3 hours use out of the battery when new (just a guess - you can adjust the figures according to real-world experience), with 12% capacity you'd only get ~20mins. Of course, it's not impossible for the battery to degrade to that level after 21 months. My comment from the previous post still stands.

Yes, I did wonder (just didn't want to double-post) - care to enlighten us as to how you manage to charge the battery without connecting the charger? Or is it a trade secret? :)

Think about this - if you got 3 hours use out of the battery when new (just a guess - you can adjust the figures according to real-world experience), with 12% capacity you'd only get ~20mins. Of course, it's not impossible for the battery to degrade to that level after 21 months. My comment from the previous post still stands.

He's using the Enterprise's power transfer beam. Sheesh get with the technology people :P.

Seriously though, good call, I didn't even bother to look at that.