Ruined or destroyed a pc trying to install mac

ricki

23 posts in this topic

check this out

Detosx

Group: Members

Member No.: 60,765

Folks, can I beg you, as a humanitarian who has just lost a valued colleague in battle - my HP DV6205US - please to be very careful with your laptop, post installing Leopard.It is all to easy to find yourself in a situation where you have newly installed Leopard, you're delighted but haven't had time to mess around with the power settings, your screen goes blank, you think the laptop is switched off, you happily put your laptop in your day pack and... it fries. DEAD.

i am going through this site now and i will make a compilation of near misses and destructions of pcs. with all the hype about the kalyway, there are more people crying wolf than smiling, it think people should exercise patient for a more stable mac0sX software for pcs to be release. WORD

The underlying problem was that it overheated. This is a common problem with laptop owners and OSx86. As for desktops, it's no concern. Also, if you're skilled enough you may actually get sleep to work on your laptop, in which case there will be no problems! :)

Overall, installing OSx86 is simply software and has an EXTREMELY minimal chance that any of its components affect the flash roms of any of your hardware. I personally over several computers have never had an issue with going between OS X, Windows, and Linux on each machine I've worked on. IOW: There was no hardware damage.

• 3 months later...
check this out

Detosx

Group: Members

Member No.: 60,765

Folks, can I beg you, as a humanitarian who has just lost a valued colleague in battle - my HP DV6205US - please to be very careful with your laptop, post installing Leopard.It is all to easy to find yourself in a situation where you have newly installed Leopard, you're delighted but haven't had time to mess around with the power settings, your screen goes blank, you think the laptop is switched off, you happily put your laptop in your day pack and... it fries. DEAD.

The underlying problem is with the Taruga alc628 patch and AppleHDA.kext. With the latter in place, your laptop might not shutdown fully, though the screen has turned off! If you have a prominent power led (and aren't in a nosiy environment you might hear the fan going occasionally) you might catch this... before you fry your cpu by rolling the laptop up in a sweater and putting it in your daypack. The shutdown solution, in this senario, is simply to remove the AppleHDA.kext and to use a USB soundcard. Not all work. I went for a semi expensive one, a Creative xmod. There are cheaper ones that work but you would need to google it.

long time, i am hereby declaring that i am a convert now and over time i have learnt so much regarding osx and linux.

i can quite admit also that i use my leopard hacintosh 99% of the time now compared to micro$oft, and it has been nothing but great.

so happy dayz everyone

• 5 months later...

Hi all

I don't know if it's linked , but yesterday , i installed a Leopard on my notebook including power management (dell vostro 1710).

I went to diner and when i came back , the computer was dead and no way to start it again : i'm not even seeing the bios and the leds are signaling a CPU problem.

Could be interesting to flag a post to recens theses issues if there's a real risk.

Chris

Hi all

I don't know if it's linked , but yesterday , i installed a Leopard on my notebook including power management (dell vostro 1710).

I went to diner and when i came back , the computer was dead and no way to start it again : i'm not even seeing the bios and the leds are signaling a CPU problem.

Could be interesting to flag a post to recens theses issues if there's a real risk.

Chris

Remove the battery for a while and try to switch it on again. You could also check the manual and do CMOS reset. Unfortunately there arn't many notebook manuals that describe how to do that.

Remove the battery for a while and try to switch it on again. You could also check the manual and do CMOS reset. Unfortunately there arn't many notebook manuals that describe how to do that.

I've tryed that without success (apart the CMOS reset)

Removing memory/CPU ....

It gave me the oportunity to met the Dell Customer Care :

The manual from the web site say that the cpu is dead

The girl i had on the phone told me the memory was dead

The tech guy that came today came with a new motherboard.(go figure)

For the record , he didn't get the right motherboard....

What's strange is that i let the computer running for 2-3 h without pb

then , i upgraded the power management

and then it died after some time.

The computer was sitting on a desk, doing nothing (downloading the iphone SDK) and, not wraped in a towel in a case :)

So , i'm still wondering if it such a good idea to try to get a mac on this notebook.

Chris

Hi Chris!

Just before you log off!!

I work for Dell, let me just collect all you machine info via our "Dell Remote Management" software that is installed on you Systemboard. This should allow us to assist you with greater efficiency next time you FRY your machine with Illegal Software!!

Kindly DO NOT Shutdown until you receive a message saying: "It is now safe to turn off your Machine!"

SticMAN

ps: Just Joking!! :(

I've tryed that without success (apart the CMOS reset)

Removing memory/CPU ....

It gave me the oportunity to met the Dell Customer Care :

The manual from the web site say that the cpu is dead

The girl i had on the phone told me the memory was dead

The tech guy that came today came with a new motherboard.(go figure)

For the record , he didn't get the right motherboard....

What's strange is that i let the computer running for 2-3 h without pb

then , i upgraded the power management

and then it died after some time.

The computer was sitting on a desk, doing nothing (downloading the iphone SDK) and, not wraped in a towel in a case :(

So , i'm still wondering if it such a good idea to try to get a mac on this notebook.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Sorry , i forget to keep you posted.

So the guy changed the motherboard but the screen was dead ( i was able to use an external monitor bu tno way to fo to Osx probably due to the configuration but i didn't had time to play with that).

I used the computer like that for 2 weeks exclusively on XP without problems.

Yesterday , they changed the LCD screen and it all started to work again until i logged again in osx.

I have been able to restart the computer and switch a couple of time between XP and OSX , everything was working fine (except for the dead pixel , seems that dell can't manage to have a LCD without dead pixel as it the second screen i had with this problem).

But at some point , i asked osx to go to sleep mode and it's broken again with the same symptoms.stuck before the bios.

So , i guess i'll ask them to change the computer this time.

For now , i'm done with Osx , i guess i'll buy a book mini to have a look at this iphone sdk.

And i've been looking at my service contract again and i didn't saw anything about runing OSx void your warranty

Chris

Hi Chris!

Just before you log off!!

I work for Dell, let me just collect all you machine info via our "Dell Remote Management" software that is installed on you Systemboard. This should allow us to assist you with greater efficiency next time you FRY your machine with Illegal Software!!

Kindly DO NOT Shutdown until you receive a message saying: "It is now safe to turn off your Machine!"

SticMAN

ps: Just Joking!! :(

• 1 year later...

While this thread is a bit old, I have a Samsung Q70 (much like Q45) and experienced similar behavior to Chris. I managed to install SL 10.6.2 quite nicely (I thought) complete with working Firewire Bus. Had the machine running overnight without any fuss and rebooted a few times with no problem. No apparent excessive heat from the machine. Walked off to wash some dishes and came back 20 minutes later to completely dead screen. Power LED still on. Wouldn't reboot. Removed battery/power adapter, left over night. Pushed power button. i.e. all the usual power related stuff for non bootable lappy I can think of all to no avail.

Specific behavior is: power on causes LED to light. HDD light on briefly then off. Swapped in previously working Win XP HDD same behavior. Machine doesn't even make it to any sort of boot screen which makes me suspect a CMOS corruption of some sort. I've read about a CMOS reset bug but that sounds quite different and related to resetting not zapping. I can't easily get to the CMOS battery nor the CMOS reset jumpers on the mobo. As its under warranty, I'm taking it to the Samsung techies and see what they come up with.

So interested to hear of any similar experiences/fixes.

All i can say is that it was definitly linked to the sleeping mode as the second time i fried the computer, i was paying atention.

But i couldn't do anything by myself.All in all , i had my motherboard and screen fried 2 times and finaly got a new laptop from dell with a free 3 year waranty (not too proud about that).

Still something odd : after they changed the motherboard for the second time , the screen was dead again.

I could see the light in the back , but nothing was displayed , it stayed black.

I used the computer on an extrenal display for 3 weeks and sudently , it did start working again.

I can't say what i did , but the screen get fixed by itself(or by something i did )

I'm pretty sure that it's something likea flag somewhere in the bios or EFI that is set wrong.

so the only thing that could help would be a clear cmos.(maybee try to the plug and battery for a couple of days)

I had an experience similar to christ.petit's: On a Toshiba A205-S5859 laptop that had been running OS X 10.5 for over a year, I upgraded to 10.6. I managed to get all the major stuff working (QE/CI, sound, Ethernet, WiFi via a USB stick), and so I started in on items of tier-2 importance, such as sleep modes. For starters, I just selected the sleep option without doing any additional preparation, but it turns out the "sleep" option should have been labeled "coma." When I tried to restart, the BIOS screen would appear, but nothing else. I didn't even see the usual prompt to press F2 for BIOS setup.

Unfortunately, at this point I figured a CMOS reset was in order, so I Googled for information on this and wound up with some bad advice about how to do it. After I attempted, the system wouldn't even bring up the BIOS splash screen. The computer was out of warranty, so in the end I sold it on eBay as a parts/repair computer for $161.50 and bought a new computer for about $500.

I can't help but wonder if the initial problem was somehow related to something I learned about a couple weeks later, involving BIOS reactions to some GPT configurations. I've put up a Web page about that topic. If so, the fix would have been easy. I'm doubtful, though, since I don't think I touched the partition information between booting the previous time and putting the computer into a coma.

Hi Rob,

This sounds slightly different to C.P.'s and my issue which was that our "coma" mode resulted in not even being able to get any form of bios screen up (like part two of your description). It went straight to black screen mode. I switched in a previously working XP HDD form the same laptop and no joy so the problem described on your Wepgae Posting would appear not to apply.

I've just been told by Samsung techs (model was a Q70 and issue described above) I need a new Mobo @ HKD2,500 (~USD300). I can't believe it and as its out of warranty (was only a year darn it), I'm going to strip it and try that CMOS reset trick. Would be keen to hear what bad advice you took so I can avoid it. :)

Chris H

I've just been told by Samsung techs (model was a Q70 and issue described above) I need a new Mobo @ HKD2,500 (~USD300). I can't believe it and as its out of warranty (was only a year darn it), I'm going to strip it and try that CMOS reset trick. Would be keen to hear what bad advice you took so I can avoid it. :)

The bad advice was specific to Toshiba A205 laptops; it identified a way to reset the CMOS by shorting two contacts in the compartment used to add RAM to the computer. When I tried, I saw a spark, and then the board was fried.

If you decide to replace your motherboad, you could try tracking down the part number and searching for it on eBay. For my machine, new motherboards through conventional channels were in the US$300 range, but they pop up on eBay every couple of weeks for more like US$100. Given the uncertainty, I decided to replace the whole computer rather than risk getting a new motherboard only to discover that the CPU was dead.

Thanks for your reply and also Chris.P's and guess what..I FIXED IT!

I'll give you the full story as I can't believe the Samsung Techs are so incompetent.

So I took the Laptop down to our friendly Samsung repair shop here in HK and was told a) sorry its just out of warranty and :( we'll charge you ~US$50 just to take a peak at it to determine the problem. Begrudglingly I agreed and was told the following day that a new motherboard would be required at a cost of ~US$300. I therefore decided to take matters into my own hands still doubting that OSX86 could fry a mobo. It HAD to be some odd change to the BIOS (remember, it was a black screen no-boot but pwer light came on and HDD very briefly). So I'd read about some black screen problems on other machines and rumours of a CMOS reset that may work.

I found reference for doing this for Samsung NC10 which sited the CMOS reset switch/jumper would be found under the memory modules (on a Samsung Q70 I think this is under the CMOS battery in the Mini Port area). So I A) removed the CMOS battery and :( Stuck a paper clip GENTLY into a whole that said RTC. Reconnected the CMOS Batery, screwed lid on and restarted. Nothing. Despondent, I wandered back to my desk and started to eat my lunch. 3 seconds later I heard a faint beep, wandred over to the laptop and HEY PRESTO, it was booting into the WINXP HDD I'd left in it.

OK, this was:

a) Definitely triggerred by OSX entering into Sleep/Coma mode. I'd love to know what the mechanism was

:) Could most probably happen with WinXP as well I'd guess

c) Could not be woken with any kind of keystroke, button press or main battery / power supply removal.

d) Had me almost believing I'd bricked it

e) Was fixed by either:

- Removal of CMOS battery (plus all other power);

- Sticking paper clip into hole next to RTC lettering under battery; or

- Both

If I were to encounter this again, I'd simply try CMOS battery removal first as I honestly don't know if the RTC hole actually did anythig at all. I can' find any sort of mobo schematic confirming it. I would definitely NOT recommend the paperclip trick unless you were as desperate as I was. If you do, remove all power to the computer and earth yourself first.

I write this up as I've spent almost a week trying to fix this so hope its of use to some other poor sod.

Finally, does anyone think I have a case for asking Samsung for my checking fee back? Useless!

BTW, My MACOSX SL 5.6.2 runs like a dream!