firewire unable to determine security-mode

Holmes89

9 posts in this topic

I have been trying for the last few days to get OS X Leopard 10.5.1 working on my computer and have yet to get anywhere. I found on the forum that I needed a special install dvd for AMD Processors and proceeded to download it and burnt it to a dvd using DVD decryptor. I have yet to get past the firewire unable to determine security-mode error when going through safemode and normal mode. This error stops my dvd drive (I have know idea why) and just doesn't progress. What should I do?

Here is my information:

Processor AMD 64 Athlon 3500+ (which I have been told can run it)

1 gig of RAM

ASUSTEk Amberine M 1.03 Motherboard

Two SATA hard drives (200 and an 80gig)

Two ATA DVD Drives (One doesn't function properly and the other is a Pioneer)

Do I need to provide any other information? Sorry I'm new at this but it seems like it will be fun to work with. Thanks for the help.

• 4 weeks later...
That error is common is probably not what is stopping your boot. Does it say "still waiting for root device" under that error?

I have attached two photos of my screen during the failed installation process, using "-v". One is without USB/FW devices plugged in, the other is WITH USB/FW devices plugged in:

By the way, I stuck the Leopard Kalyway disc in my PC while I was in Windows, and these are the only files visible:

BOOT (60 KB)

BOOT0 (1 KB)

BOOT1H (1 KB)

BOOT1U (7 KB)

BOOT.CAT (2 KB)

BOOTHELP.TXT (2 KB)

CDBOOT (58 KB)

CHAIN0 (1 KB)

Is this normal, or should I be able to see other, larger files?

Thanks!

post-190546-1203961017_thumb.jpg

post-190546-1203961028_thumb.jpg

that is ok, but if you stick it inside a mac, you will see that the dvd contains the whole of the United Nations, regarding your error what i normally do is go back to windows do reformat(quick) your partition or drive preferably FAT32, although i am typing on a hacintosh toshiba at the moment, i do get this error on my hp pavilion amd and then when the installation get "about a minute to finish" it hangs, there are some specific guide pertaining to installing from zephyroth dvd, so search this forum for the guide.

that is ok, but if you stick it inside a mac, you will see that the dvd contains the whole of the United Nations, regarding your error what i normally do is go back to windows do reformat(quick) your partition or drive preferably FAT32, although i am typing on a hacintosh toshiba at the moment, i do get this error on my hp pavilion amd and then when the installation get "about a minute to finish" it hangs, there are some specific guide pertaining to installing from zephyroth dvd, so search this forum for the guide.

The wierd thing is that it doesn't even get to a point where it asks me which HDD to install on, etc, so I don't think a reformat would help the situation. I will look around for the zephyroth guide.

Thanks

i know what you mean, i have been there, the reason why i said it is 'cause it writes a log on the partition you are using, so if you try later, it will result to same thing, i did same to thing to get some stuff to work on my toshiba as well, alway get rid of the evidence.mind you if you have any pheripherals i.e usb and stuff remove them and ethernet too, then go toyour bios do some changes so it can ignore the firewire.

• 5 months later...

Why does most of them have the same problem i have the same problem i try to install mac osx leopard and while booting i have this meassage

FireWire (OHCI)Vendor ID 1180 ID 832 PCI

Now active,GUID 0080da0d182544c0;max speed s400

ath-attach:devid ox24

override HT40 CTL -Power EEPROm Version 14.4,Device Type 5

Error:Firewire unable to determind security mode;defulting to full-secure

still waiting for root device

if anyone can help me wiht this will ve really very appreciated thanks a lot.....

I had the same error as the OP, i found that if i installed from a USB DVD rom i got past this error. The error still displayed but the installation continued on for some reason. I dont need firewire so it didnt bother me.

"still waiting for root device" doesnt that mean it cant find any physical drives to write to? try changing controllors. ie use a PATA drive instead of sata or vise versa. if you still cant get passed that error your hackintosh's hardware might not be compatible.