Kernel Panic over 3.5GB Memory Usage

itschristo

38 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...
@a7mc, only the ICH9 and ICH9R chipsets have the AHCI limiting sata port issue. Find a compatible mobo that is not ICH9® and you can run 4gb fine (as long as you run in ahci) and you will be able to see all your sata ports.

From what I read it is only the ICH9 not the ICH9R (or ICH9DO) with the problem. The vanilla ICH9 doesn't support AHCI while the other versions do. Here are Intel's comments about which of their chipsets support AHCI.

So what mobo's can support Quad Chips, Have over 4 gigs of ram, and handle 4 or more SATA devices.

I am thinking of the ASUS P5E-VM, which is a crazy micro ATX board with G35 northbridge (GMA X3500) + ICH9R. No OSX support for the GMA X3500 or the Atheros L1 Gigabit Ether

et yet. There is some hope for video support as the GMA X3500 is basically an overclocked X3100. There is also the ASUS P5E-VM DO which is Q35 (GMA 3100) + ICH9DO. Anyone try this board with 8GB of memory?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

I had the same problems. Many Kernel Errors. on my PC with 1 SATA Drive, and 1 IDE CDROM and 4 GB RAM.

I plugged of my IDE Device and it runs amazing ;)

My question is, should it run with 8 GB? Or could it be a problem with the 32 Bit IDE Architecture that all above 3,5 Gig of RAM doesn't work?

I don't know if I should buy an SATA CDROM.

So, keep on smiling :D

I had this problem, and found that removing all of the IDE devices and ONLY using the SATA ports fixed it.

This is with the Asus Maximus Formula motherboard, q6600 cpu, 8 gb ram.

Seems that the PATA driver system may use 32-bit addressing (?).

Kargis

I have an Abit IP35-E with the ICH9 southbridge and 8GB of DDR2 800. I have no kernel panics in Leopard (10.5.1) using DuNe's IOATAFamily.kext (all 4 SATA ports useable.) The JMicron PATA/IDE controller must be disabled. Buy a $30 SATA DVD burner.

No solution for >3GB in Tiger except limiting the memory or not using the ICH9 SATA ports (or using a board with unofficial AHCI for the ICH9.) USB 2.0 doesn't hurt normal drive performance too much.

Running Memtest or multiple copies of Rember is a fast way to see if you will have panics or not.

Can I use DuNe's fix for my mainboard too, to use my IDE ports?

DuNe's IOATAFamily.kext is only for the ICH SATA ports. It is suppossed to work with any ICH8/9/R/etc SATA ports operating in IDE mode. The actual IDE/PATA ports are generally running of a PCI JMicron controller, which has a seperate buggy driver.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I've got a mostly running install of Kalyway's 10.5.1 updated to 10.5.4 using the guide here at IM and am experiencing kernel panics on my system (Gigabyte P35C DS3R, 4GB RAM, IDE hard drive & dvd-rw drive, 8800gts 512). I've tried limiting the maxmem to 3584 and ended up with a kernel panic and am now going to experiment with maxmem=3072, but could it be something else? Are there other solutions or other things I should check? One of my primary concerns was the negative feel I am getting about using IDE drives with this installation, but does it really make any difference? Should I change my SATA controller to AHCI anyways and should I install the drivers from the Gigabyte Leopard Control Panel even though I have no SATA devices?

Sorry for so many questions, but thanks for any answers!

Edit #1: With maxmem=3072, everything SO FAR seems to work fine. It's annoying losing 1GB of RAM in an OS that can actually use it efficiently and I don't understand why osx86 isn't osx64, to be honest..

• 3 months later...

I had a 3.5Gb+ memory issue with EP35-DS3R, 4Gb RAM and a SATA drive, Kalyway installed (jmicron controller)... Frequent freezes whenever a large amount of memory was being allocated or transferred to/from hdd... no way I could unzip a larger archive, APerture, Photoshop were very sensitive to crashing (cost me lot of nerves)

I changed the "Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode" from IDE to AHCI, rebooted and Voila! I just launched virtual Windows on VMWare with 2Gbs RAM, launched Photoshop, Aperture, checkup showed 85% memory usage, everything stable, this is definitely an improvement! Thanks guys for the suggestion about AHCI! WOrked for me! :angel:

• 1 month later...

Uhmm, AHCI mode doesn't work for me cause I'm in AHCI mode with a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 and i get kernel panics both with iDeneb v1.3 and iAtkos v5i.

I have 4 Gb of RAM and two IDE HD for backup of my primary SATA2 HD.

Now I'm going to try the "maxmem=3072" method.

Uhmm, AHCI mode doesn't work for me cause I'm in AHCI mode with a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 and i get kernel panics both with iDeneb v1.3 and iAtkos v5i.

It works good, I'm going with that instead of patching to keep my system as vanilla as possible for future updates.

It works good, I'm going with that instead of patching to keep my system as vanilla as possible for future updates.

• 4 months later...