Kernel Panic over 3.5GB Memory Usage

itschristo

38 posts in this topic

I have been searching all over the forums but have not found a definitive answer on this. Apparently it is known that when addressing memory over the 3.5 GB mark with Kalyway 10.5.1 many people get kernel panics. The only fix I have come across is the maxmem=(some number under 3.5GB). It is a shame to waste ram... has anyone come accross a better fix for this issue? Thanks in advance.

My Specs:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L

C2Q6600

4GB G.Skill (2x2GB)

Nvidia 7900 GT w/ NVinject

Various HDD's w/o AHCI

Kalyway 10.5.1 Vanilla/GUID & EFI

I have been searching all over the forums but have not found a definitive answer on this. Apparently it is known that when addressing memory over the 3.5 GB mark with Kalyway 10.5.1 many people get kernel panics. The only fix I have come across is the maxmem=(some number under 3.5GB). It is a shame to waste ram... has anyone come accross a better fix for this issue? Thanks in advance.

My Specs:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L

4GB G.Skill (2x2GB)

Nvidia 7900 GT w/ NVinject

Various HDD's w/o AHCI

Kalyway 10.5.1 Vanilla/GUID & EFI

32 bit addressing only allows for under 4 GB of memory I believe.

Post on some of the other threads have mentioned that disabling the IDE controller (the name of which I don't remember) often helps -- apparently the driver for that isn't 64-bit clean...
Thanks I will give it a shot...No good, still getting kernel panic with IDE disabled. I will look into some more bios settings.

Thanks I will give it a shot...No good, still getting kernel panic with IDE disabled. I will look into some more bios settings.No good, still getting kernel panic with IDE disabled. I will look into some more bios settings.

I was getting panics on my spare machine (Gigabyte GA-965P-S3) with 4gb in it and was not with the machine in my sig with 8gb in it so just for the hell of it I decided to go with 6gb in each. On the one in my sig it ran fine on the plain S3 it panicked the only difference was I was using an IDE device connected to the Jmicron controller a hard drive for the install in AHCI mode when I went and installed on a spare SATA with no IDE connected device present the panics went away. So if you have a device connected to the IDE it might be worth unplugging it, I'm going to change the ram back tonight or tomorow and will post either way if it makes a difference going back to 4gb in my spare machine.

Alright so I just enabled AHCI to see if that could be a problem... and I have been running memtest for about 10 minutes now (all other tests have produced kernel panics within the first 30 seconds or so). It looks like it could be a fix! This brings me to my next question... is there a way to get Leo to recognize the other 2 sata ports when running AHCI? I have 3 drives plus a dvd rw, so if I can get all the ports working it will allpw me to be at 100% (besides sleep and shutdown). Thanks!

I was getting panics on my spare machine (Gigabyte GA-965P-S3) with 4gb in it and was not with the machine in my sig with 8gb in it so just for the hell of it I decided to go with 6gb in each. On the one in my sig it ran fine on the plain S3 it panicked the only difference was I was using an IDE device connected to the Jmicron controller a hard drive for the install in AHCI mode when I went and installed on a spare SATA with no IDE connected device present the panics went away. So if you have a device connected to the IDE it might be worth unplugging it, I'm going to change the ram back tonight or tomorow and will post either way if it makes a difference going back to 4gb in my spare machine.

Made no difference going back to 4gb as long as the IDE device is not connected/powered on to the IDE port then it will run fine, even with a SATA drive connected and used on the Jmicron connector no panics at all.

I would also love to have this issue fixed. I have this issue on my Gigabyte DS3L with 4GB (2x2GB) ram.

I can also add that AHCI is the cause of the problem. When I first installed the Kalyway DVD I only had 2 SATA devices, and AHCI was enabled. Everything ran perfectly... no panics. Then I added my 2 extra drives (so I now have 4 SATA devices) and found that I couldn't get the other two to work. I finally found a workround by reading another post on this forum that suggested disabling AHCI. It worked! I now have all 4 SATA channels working BUT I started getting kernel panics! Then I found this thread and tried the maxmem fix... that solved the kernel panics, but now I'm limiting my ram.

So my options are:

- use 1 hard drive and 4+ GB of ram

OR

- use 3 hard drives and only 3 GB of ram

Since I do HD video editing, I really do need BOTH the 4+ GB of ram AND all my hard drives. Any help with this would be appreciated.

NOTE: If anyone can absolutely confirm 100% a specific motherboard that will allow me to use my Q6600 CPU with 4 (or more!) SATA channels AND over 4GB of ram (and of course all the other stuff, like audio, LAN, USB, etc working), I would love to know. This is such an issue for me I would consider upgrading the MB. Alternatively, if anyone knows of an add-on PCI card that could give me the extra SATA channels with my 4+GB of ram, let me know as well.

Thanks!

A7

I would also love to have this issue fixed. I have this issue on my Gigabyte DS3L with 4GB (2x2GB) ram.I can also add that AHCI is the cause of the problem. When I first installed the Kalyway DVD I only had 2 SATA devices, and AHCI was enabled. Everything ran perfectly... no panics. Then I added my 2 extra drives (so I now have 4 SATA devices) and found that I couldn't get the other two to work. I finally found a workround by reading another post on this forum that suggested disabling AHCI. It worked! I now have all 4 SATA channels working BUT I started getting kernel panics! Then I found this thread and tried the maxmem fix... that solved the kernel panics, but now I'm limiting my ram.
That seems to suggest that AHCI is not the problem it is only when using the native or IDE mode the problem happens.
So my options are:- use 1 hard drive and 4+ GB of ramOR- use 3 hard drives and only 3 GB of ramSince I do HD video editing, I really do need BOTH the 4+ GB of ram AND all my hard drives. Any help with this would be appreciated.NOTE: If anyone can absolutely confirm 100% a specific motherboard that will allow me to use my Q6600 CPU with 4 (or more!) SATA channels AND over 4GB of ram (and of course all the other stuff, like audio, LAN, USB, etc working), I would love to know. This is such an issue for me I would consider upgrading the MB. Alternatively, if anyone knows of an add-on PCI card that could give me the extra SATA channels with my 4+GB of ram, let me know as well.Thanks!A7
Wouldn't be an upgrade but my board in my sig and the one I mention in spare machine will work with 4 SATA ports enabled. Now the machine in my sig only has 3 devices connected to the SATA bus 2 on the ICH8 and 1 on the Jmicron ports but it will work fine unless there is an IDE connected and powered on then the panics will happen. Oh and everything works with both boards.
I haven't seen this problem - is there a test I can do the force the error to see if it exits?
I first noticed it when copying a large file (~4gb) to my spare machine then I found the highload program as soon as I started the memory test it will panic if the aforementioned IDE device is connected and powered on, without it works fine.

Here I descibed my big problem:

I have a big problem: my hackintosh is not stable. On some events I get the message "You need to restart your computer..." and nothing works any more. By now I can reproduce this error. For example I get the message if I download something with Tomato Torrent and I view pictures from my harddrive with the preview and picture flow. After 10 seconds I get this message. Yestarday I got the error during installing Windows with VMWare. Sometimes it happens jeust so, without any special events.

my system:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2,4 GHz boxed

Gigabyte P35-DS4

4 GB DDR2 800 RAM

Zotac GeForce 7300GT

2x500GB WD HDD SATA2 16 MB Cash

IDE Samsung DVD-RW

Kalyway 10.51 +Vanilla Kernel + ACPIPlatform fix + MBR EFI

+ (before reinstalling) Natit.kext + HDA_ICH9_ALC888

Now I found this topic and understood my problem. I just took one 2GB RAM out and tested my system again: no kernel panic :)

I have 4x SATA HD-Drives and 1x IDE DVD-Recorder. 2 HDDs are connected to the orange ports on the board 2 other to the violet ports. AHCI is disabled.

Like the other already asked: how can I do my 4 GB RAM (and later maybe 8 GB) working. In the best case AHCI should be disabled. Important is that my all 4 HDDs (at least 2 HDDs) and the DVD-Recorder work.

Im glad to hear that other people are having the same problem. Hopefully we can come up with a solution! As I see it, we either need to somehow fix the AppleVIAATA.kext to stop causing kernel panics, or get AppleAHCIPort.kext to allow us to use our other 2 sata ports in AHCI mode.

I first noticed it when copying a large file (~4gb) to my spare machine then I found the highload program as soon as I started the memory test it will panic if the aforementioned IDE device is connected and powered on, without it works fine.

Ah ha! That crashed it. Haven't found anything else that will crash it but the high load test does.

I added the "maxmem=3072" string and now I can complete the HighLoad memtest where previously it crashed.

Thanks to mtotho on this thread.

The question is how high can that number go? I don't really feel like bumping it up a few MB at a time and rebooting each time to test...

Have you tried disconnecting the IDE burner that is in your sig to see if that solves the problem?

I observe a similar behavior on P5K. With 4GB (4x1GB DDR800 OCZ) I get random Kernel panics. Adding maxmem=3456 didn't seem to help much. I removed 2GB and it helped. I wonder if I have to adjust maxmem to a different value, like 3072. Running HighLoad gives me ok results with 2GB.

Also, I don't have AHCI mode on P5K. Only IDE/Enhanced. I use first 3 SATA ports for my drives/dvd-reader.

@a7mc, only the ICH9 and ICH9R chipsets have the AHCI limiting sata port issue. Find a compatible mobo that is not ICH9® and you can run 4gb fine (as long as you run in ahci) and you will be able to see all your sata ports.

there are plenty of good mobos (yes, older) that dont use ICH9. We will just have to hope that in future chipsets they use a different system.. or there is a fix.

@a7mc, only the ICH9 and ICH9R chipsets have the AHCI limiting sata port issue. Find a compatible mobo that is not ICH9® and you can run 4gb fine (as long as you run in ahci) and you will be able to see all your sata ports.

I got fed up with this issue, so I did some digging and found that the Asus P5E (X38) board had 6 working SATA ports. As far as I know, it has the ICH9-R chipset, but I now have 4 SATA devices working AND 4GB of ram running with no problems. The board may be a little pricey, but it's a great motherboard and works amazingly well with OSX. I'm happy I made the switch.

A7