PowerPC G4 will not boot from any install CD or DVD

4 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm attempting to install a full Retail Version of MAC OS X (Tiger) on a Dual 500Mhz PowerPC G4 with 1.5 Gig of RAM, running OS 10.3.9. A few months ago, I swapped out the DVD-Rom that came with the computer for a PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-104 Revision: A227. I have a Tiger DVD and the computer reads it, no problem. When I try to restart from the DVD, it just kicks the DVD out and starts up from the internal Hard Drive. I know the DVD is good as it can copy and I've used it to install Tiger on another computer. I have reset the PMU and repaired the prefs. Another note, I read about my computer possibly needing a firmware update so I tried to re-install OS 9.1 and it kicked that CD out as well. I don't have OS 9 installed anywhere on this computer so I thought I would re-install it - can't do that either. It reads DVDs and burns CDs but won't start up from one. Could it be the external jumper settings on the Pioneer Drive itself? Does it need to be set s Master or Slave or CS? Any other ideas? Thanks!

I had a similar problem with a pioneer drive, I swapped it out for a Philips DVD one and it booted from that.There is a CD-media exchange program for people who cannot use a DVD to boot from.What you could do is create a partion and restore the Tiger DVD to that using Disk utility. You can boot from the 'restored' tiger DVD on your HD partition and run the install from there.This works best by putting in a 2nd HD and restore the Tiger DVD to there and boot from it using the boot disk utility.When I installed tiger on my digital audio system I needed to perform a firmware update from OS9. After that it was actually capable of booting off the DVD too.Cheers, Mark

• 2 weeks later...

You have to make sure the drive is bootable, I had the same problem one time. The DVD-ROM drive I bought wasn't bootable for my mac. This is especially true if you just took out a drive and replaced it with basically the same ata settings as the previous drive. Basically this just sounds like a PC DVD drive that is not bootable for a mac. Sucks but some "PC" DVD drives that you can buy at Fry's or Best Buy, just aren't bootable in a Mac.

Laters...

• 2 weeks later...

1: make sure your dvd is bootable.

2: PC parts wont work in apple computers, so make sure you have an "mac compatible" part (but really check dont assume)

3: on some g4s youd have to update the firmware before you can update/upgrade your os.

4: turn the machine off (completely disconnect all the power cords, let it rest for a few minutes, get rid of all add in cards and leave only the essentials in, insert the bootable dvd and press c on boot up, the process its pretty much intuitive from there. dont forget the firmware update before doing this otherwise it wont work.

Let us know whats up after this.