usb problems that require fixing, if possible

opeeum

18 posts in this topic

i also posted this under hardware forum, hope that was ok:

so i installed leopard and usb devices don't seem very plug and play'ish, plain just doesn't work, anyone know how to start fixing this? thanks

my system is currently dual booting xp and leopard iatkos v1.0 (2.08gb one) no problem, but in mac, i don't know how to configure or test if usb is working or not, i plugged ipod in and nothing reacts.

system specs: this is all on an hp pavilion dv5000 (intel) laptop with nvidia go 7400 video card, 1gb memory

during verbose boot up of mac i do see printed to screen something about not being able to take control of something usb related from bios.

However, when i went into my laptop bios, there's no option relating to usb, seems like the laptop bios is oem locked so i can't access certain settings;

then i looked on google about editing locked/hidden bios features for a long time, downloaded phoenix bios editor, stumbled onto an entire forum of cracking vista thru modding bios, and arrived at pretty much no where on possibly getting usb for my mac installation.

thanks in advance for any tips

I have pretty much the same problem....I noticed, however, that when I booted with my iPod plugged in, it mounted at startup just fine. Although, if I eject it, I can't just plug it back in. Seems like there's no Plug-n-Play as Opeeum stated.

*EDIT* I'm also using a modded IOPCCardFamily.kext with a Linksys WPC54GS Card and it works fine if it's plugged in during boot, but not if you remove and plug back in....

Well, the only USB devices I've tried are my 5th Gen iPod Video (Black) and my Iomega USB External hard drive. Neither of them show up on the desktop or in Finder. And only the iPod will show up if I plug it in before booting up, and even then it says it's plugged into a USB 1.1 port, which all 4 of my USB ports are 2.0.

*EDIT* Forgot to mention that I'm using an HP dv8000t

• 1 month later...
Well, the only USB devices I've tried are my 5th Gen iPod Video (Black) and my Iomega USB External hard drive. Neither of them show up on the desktop or in Finder. And only the iPod will show up if I plug it in before booting up, and even then it says it's plugged into a USB 1.1 port, which all 4 of my USB ports are 2.0.

*EDIT* Forgot to mention that I'm using an HP dv8000t

got a dv8000 too... same problem.. :dev:

ive got a pavilion dv9500t and i can plug in usb devices whenever i want, and they work, without any modded files

I have the DV9285Ea and i have a usb mouse slowdown problem, the trackpad its ok but when i connect a usb mouse he stutters.

Anyone here in the HP DV World with that problem ?

I'm having similar issues here.

Running an AMD Athlon64 3500+, with an nForce4 ultra chipset. My install is Zephyroth 10.5.2 rev2.

Same thing too. Nothing will hotplug, but anything that is plugged in at boot time works just fine.

Oh, and once it is recognized, it WILL hotplug just fine. Until you reboot with the device disconnected.

This happens with my iPods, thumb drives, web cam, and scanner. All work fine from a cold start.

Really, I only care about the iPods. I don't hotplug my scanner ever.

And FWIW, firewire disks have the same problem for me.

Searched the forums and this was all I could dig up really.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Oh and one other nugget of info... I am running growl with the hardware growler program. The device shows up and is recognized by growl, but it seems whatever OS magic is supposed to trigger at that point to mount the device is not running.

• 2 months later...

Any further ideas on this? I am running Kalyway10.5.2 on an nForce chipset. Haven't tried starting with the ipod docked, but all other devices only work from a cold start.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
i also posted this under hardware forum, hope that was ok:

so i installed leopard and usb devices don't seem very plug and play'ish, plain just doesn't work, anyone know how to start fixing this? thanks

my system is currently dual booting xp and leopard iatkos v1.0 (2.08gb one) no problem, but in mac, i don't know how to configure or test if usb is working or not, i plugged ipod in and nothing reacts.

system specs: this is all on an hp pavilion dv5000 (intel) laptop with nvidia go 7400 video card, 1gb memory

during verbose boot up of mac i do see printed to screen something about not being able to take control of something usb related from bios.

However, when i went into my laptop bios, there's no option relating to usb, seems like the laptop bios is oem locked so i can't access certain settings;

then i looked on google about editing locked/hidden bios features for a long time, downloaded phoenix bios editor, stumbled onto an entire forum of cracking vista thru modding bios, and arrived at pretty much no where on possibly getting usb for my mac installation.

thanks in advance for any tips

You can try my tut I posted a while back....cheers

I am also getting this behavior. If I boot with my usb mouse or ipod plugged in they show up fine, but if I unplug them and try and plug them back in again they go unrecognized. The mouse is no big deal, but the ipod is a real p.i.t.a.

I'm running 10.5.2 kalway on an asus p5gc-mx 1333 motherboard with an pny nvidia 7300GT graphics card. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!