Dell Inspiron 531 compatability

dpace32

29 posts in this topic

I have an AMD 5000+ /3gb RAM / SATA harddrive / nForce based Dell 531 and am having a very difficult time getting OSX of any kind (10.4 or 10.5) to work with it. The most common error I get is during the boot up process (before I can even install the OS or see the OS install screens) it tells me that it is waiting for a device. Can anyone recommend an ISO for me? I have tried uphuck_10.4.9_v1.4i_r2.iso and APPLE.MAC.OSX.LEOPARD.V10.5.ISO-OSX. Thanks!

i have the same computer and i have been tryin to get it to work for days and i have sata drives because that is all it supports and i can't get it to format the drive have to wait for a different iso I am using this one Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.1 for AMD SSE2/SSE3 (32bits).

but it doesn't support nforce 5 chipsets

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have just got one of these systems, my old one died and this DELL was cheap and actually very powerful. I thought about OSX86 again, is this possible on this machine? How much patching? I would like to keep Vista to dual boot. I am searching, but wanted to post in this since it was a topic already here.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Yea the leo4all image worked for me.... joaolevysa did you have to modify something to get it to boot?? I was able to install with the leo4all image but im having difficulty booting. PM me pleaseee

Should we try getting an IDE drive / IDE controller card?

Theh 531 has no support for hard drives other than SATA. Just try using medevils Nforce Serial ATA kext it worked for me..... and as for my problem i think i have to delete some kexts

rte-bbcode-help-sm.png BB Code Help

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been trying to get the iPC 10.5.6 PPF5 cd to install on the 531 and I can't get it to boot the installer. I've tried with -x -v as options but it doesn't get any further. Is there anything special that needs to be done (eg. boot flags, disable LAN or enable RAID in the BIOS)? I've got an ATI 2400XT as the video card. Any help or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Here are my specs if it helps. This machine is pure SATA, there are no IDE ports on the board, or power connectors that can be used. The bios is a locked down Dell version, so I can't enable AHCI. I believe the chipset is nForce MCP61:

Model: Dell Inc. Inspiron 531

Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+, 2812MHz

MotherBoard: OEM Asus M2N61-AX

Bios: 1.0.13 (DELL - 42302e31 oC)Phoenix - AwardBIOSTeDell System v6.00PG)

Total Memory: 3072MB

Total Hard Drive: 615GB

DVD Device: HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H73N SCSI CdRom Device

Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT

Display: 1440 x 900 pixels, true colour

Sound: Realtek ALC888 (onboard)

ethernet: nVidia? (onboard)

• 2 weeks later...
Here are my specs if it helps. This machine is pure SATA, there are no IDE ports on the board, or power connectors that can be used. The bios is a locked down Dell version, so I can't enable AHCI. I believe the chipset is nForce MCP61:

Model: Dell Inc. Inspiron 531

Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+, 2812MHz

MotherBoard: OEM Asus M2N61-AX

Bios: 1.0.13 (DELL - 42302e31 oC)Phoenix - AwardBIOSTeDell System v6.00PG)

Total Memory: 3072MB

Total Hard Drive: 615GB

DVD Device: HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H73N SCSI CdRom Device

Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT

Display: 1440 x 900 pixels, true colour

Sound: Realtek ALC888 (onboard)

ethernet: nVidia? (onboard)

First, check the iPC OSx86 10.5.6 PPF5 using MD5 checksum to make sure you did not get a corrupted ISO install DVD. Now, pull out all USB external hard drive(s), flash drive. Put the good install DVD in your drive and boot. When you see hit any key to boot from CD/DVD, press F8 and the system will give you a boot prompt. Just type -v and press enter to boot in verbose mode. In a few minutes you will be present with a language selection screen. If not, just capture the output and post it here then I will take a look to see what I can do.

• 2 weeks later...

Alrite guyz. I was able to install is successfuly. However, after restart. I press F8 and enter into the hard drive installed the mac on. But after I press enter. it just restarts the computer. Any ideas?

ALso. which kernals, applcations, patches. etc. should I have?

System:

Processor: AMD athlon 64 s2 4400+

3 gb ram

Nvidia geforce 8500 GT

Alrite guyz. I was able to install is successfuly. However, after restart. I press F8 and enter into the hard drive installed the mac on. But after I press enter. it just restarts the computer. Any ideas?

ALso. which kernals, applcations, patches. etc. should I have?

System:

Processor: AMD athlon 64 s2 4400+

3 gb ram

Nvidia geforce 8500 GT

Yea I was able to get it to work. Forgot to add a kernal to woodoo kernal. Everything is working except DVD drive is very unresponsive. Hoping to find answers to get it working. However every else works! thx guys!

ANother issue has come. Like a person before. My DVD Burner will not read DVDs. It regards every DVD as a blank DVD. Any ideas?

ANother issue has come. Like a person before. My DVD Burner will not read DVDs. It regards every DVD as a blank DVD. Any ideas?

i tried ipc and iDeneb 10.5.6 both, but stuck at "still waiting root device..."

how did you guys installed the osx? can you please help me as well?

Great thanks!

Did you press "-v" after you press f*? this is crucial. I will be posting a video soon to help u guyz.

Also. Still I cant get my DVDs to read. Can you guyz literally put in a movie and it will read it immediately? I have to wait for the DVd to load for 15 minutes until it just says its a blank.

My DVD Drive: ATAPI IHAS 120S

I even tried the dvd drive i got with the system. (TSST Corp) CD RW/DVD ROM

Is there a fix i forgot to get? If you can find driver software or firmware pls reply.

Mine reads ok but it won't write anything. What model do you have?

ATAPI IHAS 120S

Other drive- TSST CORP CD RW/DVD ROM

tried boh no success. keeps loading. Are you able to read movies immediately?