New computer... will this mobo work?

8 posts in this topic

I just got this new alienware computer (courtesy of those fools at my office ;) ) and i ran a couple of programs (cpu-z and belarc advisor). both of them said that it was an "alienware motherboard".

I googled some random numers on the actual board and found this one with pictures on newegg and it looks exactley, and matches specs, of my motherboard.

The name I came up with was

EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

My processor is an intel core 2 extreme QX6850

My question is, will I have any trouble using 10.5 on this?

Thank you in advance for the responses.

I think you might be able to install alright, but your problems will probably come post-install. Your chipset isn't the best for OS X, so you'll probably hit snags with SATA, Audio, LAN, etc.

Someone in the WiKi has a similar MoBo with the same chipset, and from the looks of it, they were able to install, but with the above mentioned problems. Here.

That chipset works in osx86(with some lovely kernel panics[before edit] involving geforce kexts if you use NVIDIA), but the onboard LAN will not. The 8211 LAN card won't work in osx86. You'll have to find another NIC to use.

I own that board and gave up on it i may add. It works but pretty crapily. I just bought myself a lovely DS3L Which works 100 percent... but i regret getting it and not the DS3R or P cause the DS3L is the bottom of the line one with few extras.

There is fixes for Sleep/Shutdown...but does not working standard. Restart does work. The Sleep/Shutdown is a problem on most boards and requires a new kext or kernel.

• 1 year later...

I,ve tryed using qx6850. I always get a cpu kernel panic. I ended putting back my other 2 core processor back into my 680i. I've tryed cpus=1 etc.... No joy!! I've been using ipc osx86. It works perfectly. I just can't get the QX6850 cpu to work, really annoying. If anyone knows how to get the QX6850 to work, I'd be extremely grateful:) I also have both my 8800gts 640mb in both pci slots with the sli bridge attached. I know sli doesn't work. The 1st card is recognised perfectly, the second is also noticed but not to its full extent. I know the GPU is an inherent problem with this motherboard. I just would like to get the kentsfield cpu to work... I already had my osx86 installed. I removed the old processor and installed the QX6580. Even on cpus=1 I'd still get a cpu kernel panic. ANy help would be appreciated, thanks. :(