Maximum file size for FTP?

7 posts in this topic

Hi there,

as the title suggests I'm having problems getting a large file across to a friend. It's a DVD image and it has 4.32GB. I'm using the ftp file sharing functionality in Leopard.

My mate can connect and download without a problem but when the file gets to about half its size, 2.2 GB or so, his ftp client just stops and states the transfer is 100% complete. He's on Ubuntu 7.1 and uses the ftp client that comes standard with Ubuntu.

Is there something like a physical file size limit to ftp?

Otherwise any hint what we could try differently is highly appreciated. We're both not very experienced with networking stuff.

cheers

sol

Hi there,

as the title suggests I'm having problems getting a large file across to a friend. It's a DVD image and it has 4.32GB. I'm using the ftp file sharing functionality in Leopard.

My mate can connect and download without a problem but when the file gets to about half its size, 2.2 GB or so, his ftp client just stops and states the transfer is 100% complete. He's on Ubuntu 7.1 and uses the ftp client that comes standard with Ubuntu.

Is there something like a physical file size limit to ftp?

Otherwise any hint what we could try differently is highly appreciated. We're both not very experienced with networking stuff.

cheers

sol

Put it in a Rar archive so it is split up into smaller files

2GB is a known limit for some FTP transfers -- FTP server or FTP client, or OS, or filesystem

Only 2GB? Does anybody know why? That sounds like something from the dark ages of computing.

I've downloaded DVD iso images many times via P2P without a problem, even double layer ones. To be honest I'd like to avoid splitting up the isos. I'm wondering, if there is some sort of limit there should be a way to circumvent or trick it - like about everything in IT, no? ;)

Where, depending on the FTP server, there may be a file limit or timeout limit. You could also try establishing the connection in passive mode or active mode (depending on whatever it is you were using at first).

Also, Fat32 has a 2GB file size limit, so if your target drive is Fat32 then that might be the problem.

Where, depending on the FTP server, there may be a file limit or timeout limit. You could also try establishing the connection in passive mode or active mode (depending on whatever it is you were using at first).

Also, Fat32 has a 2GB file size limit, so if your target drive is Fat32 then that might be the problem.

Cheers for the hints, mate.

Anyway here's an update. We've just got one complete file across. It seems like the problem was the ftp client that incorrectly showed 100% complete although it was only halfway through. My mate tried a different ftp app and now it seems to work properly.

(I don't know which apps he tried and which eventually worked - he's on Ubuntu- but I'll keep you posted.)

Weird though...

cheers again