GUID install fail?

Jynx

16 posts in this topic

Kalyway 10.5.1

I can format as MBR and install (although it doesn't boot) But if I format as GUID and starting installing it gets to "about a minute left" and errors out. Each and every time. No errors codes or anything, just that it could not install OSX.

In addition to selecting the option for mbr or guid in the customize option, did u also format ur hardrive as the respective partition table? You cant have you hardrive formatted as mbr and choose guid or vice versa. Go to disk utility to check it out. Also what are ur specs?

Yes sir. Formated as either GUID or MBR depending on which EFI i choose. GUID just fails same place every time during install. I finally got MBR to boot up.. It says I have an airport card (broadcom wirless) But it wont detect anything. 10.4.* picked this wireless card up fine and connected. That sucks.

Ignore that. Same problem here. Just boot it, it will work fine. If you can't boot off the disk, tuck your Kalyway's disc into your DVD drive and reset the computer. Wait, and DONT press anything to install. My prediction is that it will boot fine. Some users report that the cause of the problem is their motherboard settings. The ones I needed to change (GB-P35-DS3R) are HPET --> 64 bit, Disk Mode --> IDE, Virtualisation --> Off. You can undo Virtualisation and change it back to off after install.

Best of luck.

Kalyway 10.5.1

I can format as MBR and install (although it doesn't boot) But if I format as GUID and starting installing it gets to "about a minute left" and errors out. Each and every time. No errors codes or anything, just that it could not install OSX.

I'm having the exact same problem and it's driving me crazy. Everything was great with XXX 10.4.10.

I don't really care to try iAtkos because I want to use the vanilla kernel for updating purposes.

Hope somebody can help...

Yes sir. Formated as either GUID or MBR depending on which EFI i choose. GUID just fails same place every time during install. I finally got MBR to boot up.. It says I have an airport card (broadcom wirless) But it wont detect anything. 10.4.* picked this wireless card up fine and connected. That sucks.

Just selection GUID or MBR wont reformat your drive. YOU need to do it in disk utility

i think thats what he meant, He selected the option in customize, depending on which way he formatted the drive.

Anyway, u say your wireless was working in tiger and not in leopard.. simple.. cant u just drag over the kexts from tiger?

Ignore that. Same problem here. Just boot it, it will work fine. If you can't boot off the disk, tuck your Kalyway's disc into your DVD drive and reset the computer. Wait, and DONT press anything to install. My prediction is that it will boot fine. Some users report that the cause of the problem is their motherboard settings. The ones I needed to change (GB-P35-DS3R) are HPET --> 64 bit, Disk Mode --> IDE, Virtualisation --> Off. You can undo Virtualisation and change it back to off after install.

Best of luck.

Hi, do you mean that GUID will not work on AHCI disk mode?

Can I still boot Vista wich is on the first HDD when I switch to IDE?

Vista will not work if you install it with AHCI mode and then try to boot in IDE mode. It install specific drivers to boot in AHCI mode, you can try doing a repair with the Vista disk but when I tried the opposite, to boot Vista in AHCI when I installed with my mode set to IDE it did not repair it.

Vista will not work if you install it with AHCI mode and then try to boot in IDE mode. It install specific drivers to boot in AHCI mode, you can try doing a repair with the Vista disk but when I tried the opposite, to boot Vista in AHCI when I installed with my mode set to IDE it did not repair it.

Tried it and you are right , Vista won't boot anymore on IDE. It didn't help though my Kalyway still not booting on IDE or AHCI.

I'm trying to change from MBR install to GUID install. I partitioned HDD as GUID installed with EFI-GUID but no boot.