Sporadic Freezing?

mtotho

14 posts in this topic

I have a pretty much flawless, very smooth installation going of leopard. Everyonce in a while i will just freeze. The only thing i can do is hard restart my computer. Most recently opening a .pdf file did it in. I can induce this freezing by opening any pdf file. Does anyone know whatsup? thanks in advanced. The computer im concerned with is in My sig "Hackintosh 1"

I have a pretty much flawless, very smooth installation going of leopard. Everyonce in a while i will just freeze. The only thing i can do is hard restart my computer. Most recently opening a .pdf file did it in. I can induce this freezing by opening any pdf file. Does anyone know whatsup? thanks in advanced. The computer im concerned with is in My sig "Hackintosh 1"

when you say "freeze", do you mean kernel panic, with the gray screen and "Please restart your computer..."?

or does the screen just stop changing, for lack of a better description?

In another thread, another poster and I (mostly him) figured out how to get debug information from a kernel panic:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=82546

well, ill check out that thread.. but no this.. i can still move my mouse when this happens.. but nothing responds.. i dont even get a rainbow wheel. For as long as i waited nothing happened. the mouse couldnt click on anything/do anything.

I also experience this problem when i was having trouble getting a DHCP address (my lan is realtek 8111b.. works out of the box). When i was wandering around in network preferences when and only when i didnt have a dhcp address it froze as explained above. This happened about 1/4th of the time i went into the network preferences without a DHCP address.

I had exactly the same symptoms you describe at one time... here is a link to the post I made

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=77133

Do you have an NTFS drive with your rig? If so, try dragging it to the bin just after booting up and see if the problem goes away... also look for any large drives (mine is 1TB) and unmounting try that.

I hope you get to the bottom of this problem, it drove me nuts at the time! (I reformatted the offending drive to HFS+ in the end)

Overclocked? That could be it. Alternatively try disabling some options in the BIOS such as C.I.A.2 (move from Turbo/Extreme to Standard). Also you can try ending programs using Command/Option/Escape (equating to Windows+Control+Escape on Windows Keyboard).

Also another hint... I had similar trouble and it ended up that my Hard disk was buggered... Try another one? You could use CCC to rip your insallation onto another hard disk...

I am overclocked, q6600 from 2.4 to 3ghz. I have disabled all thermal control, extra cpu options and the one that you suggestions.

I Have leopard installed on a brand new Raptor 10k RPM hardrive which seems to be working fine.

I do have one NTFS drive, It being Vista.

Command option escape does not do anything, nothing responds at all

thanks for the replies

Hi I have the exact the same problem as you describe! So if you find an answer please let me know.

I have p35c-ds3r mobo and several hard disks. First i thought the problem was from ext2fs which i use to access my linux hard disk but later i figured out that i had a bad module. took that one out and the freezes were not that much but it happens which is annoying.

I have to different leopard on the same disk. one kalyway and one vanilla leopard server. both experience the same problem.

hope we can figure out what the cause is of this annoying problem. Oh forgot to mention that i installed the beta 10.5.2 to recognize my video card (8400 gs) which works fine.

Same here with P35-DS3. Seems like this mobo model has something wrong with current Leopard 10.5.1. Same issue appears to me with network settings, perian settings and opening a pdf file with preview. Mobo BIOS is latest (F12) and I'm using 10.5.2 beta kexts for the graphic card nvidia 8600GT. If anybody comes up with an idea let me know...

I now hope that the final release of th 10.5.2 kext will solve the problem. I actually don't know now if the problem is because the 10.5.2 kext. All my leopard installations has it, and before that i had a bad ram module which could have casued the panics. The only thing is that i bought this mobo because it was appraised to be one of the best for a hackintosh and a lot of people are using it. Btw my hd is an ide and on jmicron ports. hope someone finds a solution...

Ok now preview doesn't hang anymore when I display PDF files. This happens after I've upgraded the NVidia drivers with the latest kexts from 9C023. You can get them here: http://scottdangel.com/blog/?p=18

All of those having the same freeze problem when displaying pdf files with preview please try the latest Nvidia drivers and get back here with your impressions. It would be good indeed if we have spotted the bug fix :)

Hi, same problem here. I am running same version of the nvidia .kexts described in the previous post, but it still happens. Let's all post as much info about our systems as possible to try and find the cause:

Hardware:

MSI P6N SLI Platinum mobo

Intel E6750 CPU

Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 (2x1GB) RAM

EVGA Geforce 8800GT 512 MB

ACER X221W 22inch LCD monitor

Kingston KNE100X PCI NIC (My onboard LAN wouldn't work with Leopard)

Echo MIA PCI audio card (not working under OS X, haven't tried yet)

USB mouse (logitec MX300 optical)

PS2 Keyboard (generic)

Disks:

250GB SATA NTFS (Windows Vista)

60GB IDE HFS+ Journaled (Mac OS X 10.5.1)

80GB SATA NTFS (MP3s)

250GB USB FAT32 (Western Digital MyBook Essential Edition) (Data)

500GB USB FAT32 (Western Digital MyBook Essential Edition) (More data)

BENQ 1640 IDE DVD+-R/RW/DL

Software:

Kalyway 10.5.1 (NON vanilla kernel, MBR, Installed no drivers at install time)

Kalyway Virginizer used to restore default settings

10.5.2 NV .kexts installed from package (http://scottdangel.com/blog/?p=18)

Realtek ALC888 drivers installed from AppleHDAaudio Patcher

There's got to be a solution out there for this, especially with so many people having the exact same problem. Other than the freezes this system works like a champ. All other apps open fine, I can even view PDFs in acrobat, but if I try to open one with Preview, I get the same lockup described above, where cursor moves but I can't click anything. Only way out is to hit the reset button.

-Steve

Oh waitaminit... I think badmotorfinger is right. I thought I was using the same version of the 10.5.2 Nvidia kexts, but I had actually downloaded them from this link:

http://scottdangel.com/blog/?p=17

And not from this one:

http://scottdangel.com/blog/?p=18

I just got the new ones working and it SEEMS to have resolved the freezing. I don't want to say for sure, because sometimes preview.app will work for a while before freezing, but so far so good!

The bad news: I had some issues getting the new kexts to work after I installed them. I have an 8800GT (512MB) but if I selected anything other than the default 256MB when I ran the installer, I got a KP. I also had to edit Contents/Info.plist in the following directories after installing and remove all device IDs except for mine:

/System/Library/Extensions/NVDAResman.kext/

/System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV50Hal.kext/

/System/Library/Extensions/NVinject.kext/

/System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext/

(The Device ID for the 8800GT is "0x061110de" by the way)

I also deleted /System/Library/Extensions.mkext (not sure if that's necessary, but I did)

That got me back to where I can boot into Leopard with full hardware acceleration. System Profiler still shows my card as having only 256MB, but the freezing with preview seems to be resolved for now. I hope this info helps someone.

-Steve