adding kexts to an install dvd

laxattack

7 posts in this topic

Ok i have been trying to install zeph's amd leo dvd a couple of times with no luck, mainly because i need sata support. if anyone could help i would love to know how to add some kexts to his dvd and possibly have leo finnaly running on my PC.

if needed here are my specs

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+

MSI K9mm-v motherboard w/ Via K8m800 and VT8237r Chipset

Sapphite ATI Radeon x1650 Pro AGP

2GB DDR2 400mhz

2 SATA HDD's

HDD 1 MDT MD1600JD-00HBB0 149.05 GB Running Win Vista

HDD 2 Maxtor 6B200M0 Running 189.92 GB Tiger 10.4.10

2 dvd-rw drives IDE

Drive 1 SONY DVD RW DRU-810A

Drive 2 TSSTcorpCD/DVDW SH-S182M

if you need more info i will give it, But if anyone can please help me

Personally i did it just opening the iso you downloaded with macimage from windows (shareware program, just download the try version, it function correctly :P) and then, set it to partition mode.

Open the iso, wait to load it, then (if you're not seeing any file or just the same you see with windows, set the option to see hidden files) go into System/Library/Extensions/ and put there your kext ;) Save the file (File -> Save), then burn the new iso.

At boot, start with this option: -f (this will Force the boot to check all its extensions) :) I hope i could help you.

Have a nice day =)

• 4 weeks later...
Personally i did it just opening the iso you downloaded with macimage from windows (shareware program, just download the try version, it function correctly ;) ) and then, set it to partition mode.

Open the iso, wait to load it, then (if you're not seeing any file or just the same you see with windows, set the option to see hidden files) go into System/Library/Extensions/ and put there your kext :) Save the file (File -> Save), then burn the new iso.

At boot, start with this option: -f (this will Force the boot to check all its extensions) :) I hope i could help you.

Have a nice day =)

bro........ i need a help from u...... i got a dvd from a friend containing kalyway 10.5.1. which software i shud use to make an iso from the dvd and use it with macimage?? regrads

• 4 weeks later...

Hi dying4004,

I tried macimage and got to the point of saving and the resulting file was only 394M in size (whereas the original iso) was about 4.5 GB. The trial version says that it limits images to 250MB. Are you sure that the trial version should work and do you have any idea why it writes out such a small image? Thx.

[...] here are my specs

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+

MSI K9mm-v motherboard w/ Via K8m800 and VT8237r Chipset

Sapphite ATI Radeon x1650 Pro AGP

2GB DDR2 400mhz

2 SATA HDD's

HDD 1 MDT MD1600JD-00HBB0 149.05 GB Running Win Vista

HDD 2 Maxtor 6B200M0 Running 189.92 GB Tiger 10.4.10

2 dvd-rw drives IDE

Drive 1 SONY DVD RW DRU-810A

Drive 2 TSSTcorpCD/DVDW SH-S182M

I've started trying to install Zephyroth 10.5.2 dvd on my k9mm-v. The (unmodified) dvd boots up every 4 or 6 tries, spitting out a "calibation failed" message very shortly after it starts up, most times. I've read here that you should burn the iso at the 'slowest possible speed' or the dvd will have errors, although some others have reported it makes no difference (I wrote mine at 16x, may try reburning it).

When it does manage to start up, the first problem I ran into was getting it to partition and format a drive. Disk utility sees my internal drives (an sata and a pata) and all the partitions (both ntfs and linux), and presumably would allow me to select an existing partition for reformatting -- something I would rather not essay, until I can establish whether osx will actually run on my pc.

Instead I tried it on an extenal usb2 (ide) drive, and every time I tried to partition, it took a very long time and always ended in failure.

However, I discovered that if you restart disk utility it sees the 'failed' volume as formatted according to the selected scheme, but wouldn't pass a "verify" or "repair", or for that matter mount -- until I selected "erase" (it is imortant to select the volume, rather than the physical drive at this point). After that it mounted, passed "verify" and, most importantly, showed up in the installation window as something I could install onto (as opposed to a blank window).

However, when I try to install, it runs very, very slowly, and always cacks out after a couple of hours. I realized it is probably writing at USB 1.1 speeds rather than USB 2.0 (it reported 0.3 Mb/sec in the installer log).

I disabled cpu frequency scalig ("Cool 'n Quiet") during the install. I tried no custom options, both T0H kernels (er, one at a time), and some of the drivers as seemed appropriate (notably the "Via SBL" chipset drivers), all with the same result. After several passes (and hours) it has written a couple of gigs total to the external drive.

I don't know if the installer takes into account the files that have already been written, but it seems to accumulate more with each pass, rather than overwriting what's already there, judging by the numbers of files and folders, and used space reported in disk utility each time.

Since the process is too slow and perhaps a usb chipset issue is introducing errors, I'm going to try to swap it into an ide channel and start over in a week or so.

Specs:

k9mmv (VIA KT800 north/VT8237R Plus south chipset)

Athlon 64 3800+ (2.4g single core)

2G DDRII800

500G SATA (bios set to ide mode)

160G PATA

DVD writer

SB Live Value (onboard AC97 disabled)

edit: forgot my GPU: ATI 9550 AGP