Want to upgrade my Video card, Need Help

6 posts in this topic

ok here's my story. I have my MacPro with an ATi Radeon X1900XT. I want to get a better (quieter) card that supposrts DX10 and is a little better dealing with the more high end games. now i know that there are specific things needed in a mac video card (128k ROM) so that it can boot OSX with full graphic support so if i find a video card that has a 128k ROM (which almost all have these days) then should i be able to install a new Video card? If i were to buy a (PC) ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT (or something similar) and install it, it should work right? considering Apple now has them (HD 2600 XT) as an option with the mac pros. and since the new macs are intel based... there shouldn't be too big of problems?

Any help would be great!

• 5 weeks later...

once more after a millions times said:

PC parts wont work on mac.

get a "mac part" thats all, if you want to use pc parts and intel bases machines you are in the wrong forum, get to the osx86 project site and "read" you find what you want there.

And no the HD 2600 wont work.

once more after a millions times said:

PC parts wont work on mac.

Not exactly true. It is just software on the parts that is different.

Several years ago I bought a Mac Voodoo 5 5500 PCI and used it both in a PC and a Power PC Mac. The Voodoo card in question was nice since the OS9 CD actually flashed the Mac BIOS onto the card for me (getting the Windows Bios on it wasn't much harder). The odds are that you won't be as lucky, but I am sure someone has done it. :P