How You'd Know if it's Running in 64-bit, AHCI and Others

alvin777

5 posts in this topic

Hi. Need help on these questions. Links would be helpful as well. Thanks in advance:

- how would you'd know if OSX86 (PC EFI), apps, programs and drivers are running in 64-bit ? Is there an app that tells you if it's running in 32-bit or 64-bit?

- how would you know if your sata or IDE hardisks and DVD writer are AHCI capable? Is there a program to detect it?

- is OS X Leopard Hpet 64-bit compatible?

- what app can detect if your rewritable DVD or CD media is damaged or too old to be rewritten on?

- has anyone updated PC EFI leopard using the developer's build of 10.5.2 through Software Update?

- does anyone know an app that can lock all the preferences and settings individually so that you don't need to use the Guest account to protect your Admin account?

Hardware

- besides coffee filters (doesn't work), what's a good lint-free substitute for commercially available lint-free wipes or cloths to clean your heatsink and CPU spreader? The microfiber cloths that are available aren't good for solvents like alcohol unless you know a microfiber that is alcohol compatible.

- what's another substiture for 99% or 100% alcohol besides 70% alcohol? Is denatured good for cleaning heatsinks and CPU spreaders?

- how does heat destroy a hard disk exactly. Does the heat evaporate the lubricants in the bearings. Does the heat expand the heads and disk itself (if it's a hitachi single platter) that they scratch each other and this added more heat?

- is it a better idea to hack hard disk cooler to cool the bottom or belly of the hard disk instead?

- will the core2duo melt or become damaged at 99 C or 100 C?

- is there a substitute for CoreDuoTemp for CPU's with more than 1 core?

Hardware

- besides coffee filters (doesn't work), what's a good lint-free substitute for commercially available lint-free wipes or cloths to clean your heatsink and CPU spreader? The microfiber cloths that are available aren't good for solvents like alcohol unless you know a microfiber that is alcohol compatible.

- what's another substiture for 99% or 100% alcohol besides 70% alcohol? Is denatured good for cleaning heatsinks and CPU spreaders?

- how does heat destroy a hard disk exactly. Does the heat evaporate the lubricants in the bearings. Does the heat expand the heads and disk itself (if it's a hitachi single platter) that they scratch each other and this added more heat?

- is it a better idea to hack hard disk cooler to cool the bottom or belly of the hard disk instead?

* will update this with the answers or add additional questions I will have later and will update the title as well as Updated: instead of Questions :

1.) Going that far isn't necessary. Just use 70% Rubbing Alcohol and some paper towels. Then use an Air Can to blow off any remaining lint or w/e.

2.) Isopropyl is what you want period. The higher the concentration the more powerfull it is going to be and the less you will have to use. 70% is perfectly fine. Just make sure you do a 2-3 passes. First to clean off that thermal. Second to make sure it's well degreased. Third just in case.

3.) Motor + too much Heat = Expansion = more friction = more heat

Can you see where that goes?

4.) Just make sure the temp the sensor tells you is good. There is no preferred way. In fact the best way is to keep your whole system cool.

5.) Yes

Hi. Need help on these questions. Links would be helpful as well. Thanks in advance:

- how would you'd know if OSX86 (PC EFI), apps, programs and drivers are running in 64-bit ? Is there an app that tells you if it's running in 32-bit or 64-bit?

- how would you know if your sata or IDE hardisks and DVD writer are AHCI capable? Is there a program to detect it?

- is OS X Leopard Hpet 64-bit compatible?

- what app can detect if your rewritable DVD or CD media is damaged or too old to be rewritten on?

- has anyone updated PC EFI leopard using the developer's build of 10.5.2 through Software Update?

- does anyone know an app that can lock all the preferences and settings individually so that you don't need to use the Guest account to protect your Admin account?

Hardware

* will update this with the answers or add additional questions I will have later and will update the title as well as Updated: instead of Questions :

-if you open activity monitor, on the right under "Kind" it will tell you (see attached photo). Most apps are just "Intel", a few are "Intel (64 bit)". I think it is like this on regular macs as well.

-AHCI compatibility is in your motherboard. It only works with SATA. May I ask why you ask?

- Yes, in fact enabling it is very good (reduces non-lethal error messages).

-i don't know about this one

-not me, and I havn't heard either.

-I don't know...

- .... this is VERY bad, though the temp may be misread. For an e6750 (mine), 70°C is as high as you should keep it. 80 is the limit for dangerous conditions.

-yes. "Temperature Monitor" is OS X AND OSx86 compatible! (http://www.bresink.com/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html)

what is your hardware?

post-122578-1201156963_thumb.png

Thanks for the answer. I guess most apps are not yet in 64-bit cause all of them don't display Intel 64-bit even Maya. I overclocked this E4300 for a long time to 3.3Ghz and now it's on it's default speed of 1.8 but it's still at 61 to 67, idle to load. I'll return it if (if they'd still accept it and just be honest if it was overclocked should they ask. It's still got warranty) after reapplying Artic Silver 5. Might try to create my own heatsink (coz' the good ones are not in stores here), do a mod with the casing maybe (my setup: http://Modders-Inc.com/modules.php?name=Fo...;p=24433#24433) .

Thanks for the answer. I guess most apps are not yet in 64-bit cause all of them don't display Intel 64-bit even Maya. I overclocked this E4300 for a long time to 3.3Ghz and now it's on it's default speed of 1.8 but it's still at 61 to 67, idle to load. I'll return it if (if they'd still accept it and just be honest if it was overclocked should they ask. It's still got warranty) after reapplying Artic Silver 5. Might try to create my own heatsink (coz' the good ones are not in stores here), do a mod with the casing maybe (my setup: http://Modders-Inc.com/modules.php?name=Fo...;p=24433#24433) .

if you return it, don't say you overclocked it. "Just say no". Things will go a lot easier.