X1600 Quartz Issues

LeslieF

5 posts in this topic

I've got a MacBook pro with OS X 10.5.1 and several days ago, I opened iTunes and found a message on coverflow telling me that"iTunes is unable to browse album covers on this computer." Today, I tried to open Final Cut Pro (Studio 2) and got three messages:

1)Final Cut Pro requires that your system have a Quartz Extreme capable video card.

2)Final Cut Pro recommends that your system have 64 MB of VRAM; this system has only 0 MB of VRAM.

3)The installed graphics card does not not support the OpenGL features recommended by Final Cut Pro.

I double checked my hardware overview and my graphics/display information looks like this:

ATI Radeon X1600:

Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1600

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x71c5

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-xxxxxx-158

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.158

Displays:

Color LCD:

Display Type: LCD

Resolution: 1440 x 900

Depth: 32-bit Color

Built-In: Yes

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Display Connector:

I'm not sure what's going on. FCP has always run smoothly as has the coverflow in iTunes (I've been running FCP since June). Do I need to re-install drivers, and if so, where would I find this? Is there something I can do to "convince" my dear computer that it does support quartz extreme.

Thanks for your replies, I need to get FCP up and running as soon as possible, since i'm under some deadlines.

• 1 month later...
I've got a MacBook pro with OS X 10.5.1 and several days ago, I opened iTunes and found a message on coverflow telling me that"iTunes is unable to browse album covers on this computer." Today, I tried to open Final Cut Pro (Studio 2) and got three messages:

1)Final Cut Pro requires that your system have a Quartz Extreme capable video card.

2)Final Cut Pro recommends that your system have 64 MB of VRAM; this system has only 0 MB of VRAM.

3)The installed graphics card does not not support the OpenGL features recommended by Final Cut Pro.

I double checked my hardware overview and my graphics/display information looks like this:

ATI Radeon X1600:

Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1600

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x71c5

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-xxxxxx-158

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.158

Displays:

Color LCD:

Display Type: LCD

Resolution: 1440 x 900

Depth: 32-bit Color

Built-In: Yes

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Display Connector:

I'm not sure what's going on. FCP has always run smoothly as has the coverflow in iTunes (I've been running FCP since June). Do I need to re-install drivers, and if so, where would I find this? Is there something I can do to "convince" my dear computer that it does support quartz extreme.

Thanks for your replies, I need to get FCP up and running as soon as possible, since i'm under some deadlines.

Same problem...have you solved it?

This question might have been asked on the Apple forums so you might also have some luck finding a solution there. Since I don't own a mac I can't really offer any detailed advice but I have a few possible resolutions.

Have you tried reinstalling Leopard or upgrading 10.5.2? If neither of those works, back up all your data and applications and do a clean install, that should generally solve the problem.

Same problem...have you solved it?
Tibi,What I ended up having to do was re-install Leopard, and that did the trick. Annoying, but at least it worked. Everything has been running smoother now.
This question might have been asked on the Apple forums so you might also have some luck finding a solution there. Since I don't own a mac I can't really offer any detailed advice but I have a few possible resolutions.Have you tried reinstalling Leopard or upgrading 10.5.2? If neither of those works, back up all your data and applications and do a clean install, that should generally solve the problem.
Thanks for the advice, the reinstall is what I ended up doing.

Tibi,What I ended up having to do was re-install Leopard, and that did the trick. Annoying, but at least it worked. Everything has been running smoother now.Thanks for the advice, the reinstall is what I ended up doing.

No problem :thumbsdown_anim:

I just realized though that Apple released a graphics update for leopard which supposedly contains new drivers.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/leo...csupdate10.html